Gin

saf

Hey folks - anyone able to help out with some Christmas shopping?

I'm looking for gin. And vermouth. But not just any gin. New or unusual very very botanical gin. And not just any vermouth. His usual is Dolin. So something good, but different.

So where should I go where someone knowledgeable can help me choose something, and then sell it to me? And any suggestions on good brands?

Thank you all!

7 hours ago, Tweaked said:

What did you end up getting? 

I went to Ace - which has also been my go-to, but I was uncertain without Joe there any more. I should not have hesitated. So, a bottle of sweet red vermouth, a bottle of dry vermouth, both Oscar. And a bottle of Himalayan gin - Hapusa. He says it isn't as floral as many modern gins, but it is lovely, botanical, and makes an excellent perfect martini.

Last year I went to a place in Georgetown - um....Potomac Wine and Spirits - and found 2 gins. Bobby's, which which is a genever that he enjoyed, and an Argentinia Mate gin, which he also enjoyed. There was no vermouth involved last year.

(The house gins here are Green Hat spring and Citadelle.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yeah said:

How does Oscar sweet vermouth compare with Carpano Antica Formula?  

Can't answer that, having never had the carpano. We did open a bottle of Cocchi teatro the other day. That was good. Trying to determine the best use for it.