Kismet, Chef Ajay Kumar and Managing Partner Sachin Mahajan’s Modern Indian Gem at 111 N. Pitt St in Old Town

As far as I’m aware, Kismet Modern Indian in Old Town is the finest Indian restaurant in the DC area right now, and perhaps ever. (Based on a single carry out order, its sibling Karma is right there by its side).

The breads, the raita, and some of the dishes are the best Indian food I’ve had on this side of the Atlantic. It’s on a very short list of regular go-to’s, and tonight was probably my tenth time ordering from them.

Honestly, I wouldn’t know what to even compare it to in the DC area. It’s very expensive, but the quality is in the dishes. Kismet also has a workable wine and beer list.

There have been a few dishes I haven’t loved, but there has been nothing I thought wasn’t honorable. I feel like I’m dining at a Michelin one-star restaurant in London.

Cheers,
Rocks

• Thanks 2

Coincidentally, we just finally went there for lunch (it’s been on my list for months) and thought it was great. The only place I recall being comparable was Rasika west end, but that was quite a few years ago so I have no idea how it’s doing now. Definitely a bit expensive, but not ridiculous for a special occasion.

We also don’t know of any other especially good Indian, although we haven’t explored extensively. Spicekraft in Alexandria is fine, and tends to be our default because of proximity.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 11:19 PM, DonRocks said:

As far as I’m aware, Kismet Modern Indian in Old Town is the finest Indian restaurant in the DC area right now, and perhaps ever. (Based on a single carry out order, its sibling Karma is right there by its side).

The breads, the raita, and some of the dishes are the best Indian food I’ve had on this side of the Atlantic. It’s on a very short list of regular go-to’s, and tonight was probably my tenth time ordering from them.

Honestly, I wouldn’t know what to even compare it to in the DC area. It’s very expensive, but the quality is in the dishes. Kismet also has a workable wine and beer list.

There have been a few dishes I haven’t loved, but there has been nothing I thought wasn’t honorable. I feel like I’m dining at a Michelin one-star restaurant in London.

Cheers,
Rocks

Are there any particular dishes that you'd recommend?  We'll be dining at the Richmond outpost this evening.  

15 hours ago, Bags said:

Are there any particular dishes that you'd recommend?  We'll be dining at the Richmond outpost this evening.  

Bags, I apologize for not having seen this until now. I’d be happy to write Asachin Mahajan, and see what he recommends based on his Richmond chef. Three, perhaps four, locations makes this more difficult to get a handle on.

I agree with yeah (directly above) that, if you’re familiar with Indian cuisine, the long-cooked dishes tend to be the ones that keep (and actually improve) overnight.

Please tell us about your meal, and what you found out about the restaurant. The Old Town restaurant has very conscientious service, although I can’t swear Chef Kumar is on the line at this location (he certainly can’t be four places at once).

Cheers
Rocks

PS - two lovely plates from our recent visit:

IMG_0629.jpegIMG_0630.jpeg

• Like 2