Taipei Tokyo

I had sushi for lunch yesterday from the Taipei Tokyo on Nicholson Lane. This location has more of a fast food atmosphere than the location further north on Rockville Pike or in Fallsgrove. I haven't been to the Bethesda one. I don't know if there any others or if they are all under the same ownership?

Anyway, for the one on Nicholson Lane, the Japanese/sushi side is on the left, and Chinese food side is on the right. I usually get their sushi lunch special - two small rolls for $6.50, plus I get another roll, edamame or gyoza. I like the eel roll and spicy tuna roll. When it's cold outside, I've gotten noodle soup from the Chinese side. I bought food from the Chinese food steam table once but wasn't impressed.

Been there a couple of times - Wouldn't call it cheap eats but would call it mediocre food at a medium price point. Won't kill ya but can do much better just up the road.

Lots of people like these places. I'm ambivalent. I've been to the Nicholson Lane and Rockville sites.

As expected, the food is mediocre albeit pretty cheap.

I've been going to the Nicholson Lane and Rockville branches for years (although it has been several months since my last visit) and I think they are a good quality for a less expensive place. The sushi is the amazing, but it is good and definitely on the cheaper side. The chinese food is alright. The big noodle soups are really good, the Americanized stuff is ok. The Rockville branch used to have Chinese specialty items on the weekends that always brought in people of Chinese descent, which I usually take as a good sign. The best part of the price point is these places are counter service, but with ample tables, so you can save on the tip. The Rockville branch has much nicer decor, the Nicholson one is getting a bit ragged.

I've been eyeing the one in Fallsgrove...

Has anyone here actually been?

I've lived in Fallsgrove for nearly 6 years and eaten in the shopping center only at the Panera a couple of times. Every so often, someone from Taipei Tokyo slides a carryout menu in my front door, but any place that serves both Chinese and Japanese food makes me immediately suspicious (Pacifica Cafe is the lone exception, only because of its separate menu in Chinese).

The Fallsgrove location is probably my favorite from the 3 that I've eaten at for lunch in the past few years. The original location on Nicholson is my least favorite, but the cheapest. The other one just up the street on Rockville Pike is decent, but the Fallsgrove seems to be their "high-end" location, with a much more extensive menu and higher prices to match. Their dishes range from medicore to good. I liked the Thai/Chinese noodle dishes at the Fallsgrove location along with some of the stir-fries. Most of my lunch companions tend to go for their lunch sushi special which they generally find enjoyable and fairly priced.

The Fallsgrove location is close to my office and they deliver! I'm currently really enjoying my druken noodles, the spice is helping to warm me up on this frigid day. All white meat chicken and the noodles are perfectly cooked.

The Thai and noodle dishes tend to be the most popular with our office. The delivery is speedy and the dishes are always hot and fresh when they arrive. I rarely eat in at the Fallsgrove location because of my hatred for the parking lot over at Fallsgrove.

The Fallsgrove location is close to my office and they deliver! I'm currently really enjoying my druken noodles, the spice is helping to warm me up on this frigid day. All white meat chicken and the noodles are perfectly cooked.

The Thai and noodle dishes tend to be the most popular with our office. The delivery is speedy and the dishes are always hot and fresh when they arrive. I rarely eat in at the Fallsgrove location because of my hatred for the parking lot over at Fallsgrove.