jjl

Falls Church Market (1984-) - 300 Park Avenue, Open Every Saturday Year-Round until Noon

Winter hours start this week -- 9:00 opening until May -- although with the dangerously cold temps, I would check to see if they're even going to open this weekend.  I'm a pretty diehard marketer and I don't plan to be there.

Return to summer hours starting on Saturday, April 7th.  I'm not ready to get up early again!  But I will make myself do it.

Beautiful morning at the market.  Lots and lots and lots of bedding plants.  Some new lettuces and the asparagus is starting to come in.  However, the asparagus I saw for sale was $4 for perhaps 5 fat spears.  That's still a bit too pricey for me.  I'll wait for the supply to bring the cost down.

Asparagus prices are down a bit, $4 bundles but 7-8 fat spears now.  Also saw gorgeous tender sugar snaps and one farmer had a big pile of ramps at $5 per bundle.  

only saw the Mushroom guys with ramps today, $8 for a small bundle, and they had morels, $12/pint.  Strawberries and asparagus are almost gone; only 3 farmers had them today.  Cauliflower is coming on strong, as are sugar snaps and snow peas.  Lots of beets and young onions and lettuces.  

• Like 2

Toigo has the very last of the strawberries today, but blueberries are everywhere.  Two farmers had corn -- still looks pretty scrawny, but it's corn!  One sighting of Roma beans, three of okra.  Lots of onions and beets and rhubarb and kale, a few garlic scapes still around, basil now showing up in big bundles.  

• Like 1

the corn is in full force, lots of tomatoes, good looking peaches -- basically, the abundance of summer produce has arrived.  Also noticed lots of beautiful lisianthus today, mostly purples & whites, and a few pinks.

looks like we've reached the end of the corn at the market in Falls Church, anyway.  Tomatoes are dwindling, the okra is starting to feel woody even when young & little.  Lots of nice little potatoes and turnips and beets showing up, peaches fading and apples & pears coming on.

• Thanks 1

Winter hours starting this Saturday, opening is at 9:00 a.m. (rather than 8:00)