Seafood in the Buff - Germantown, MD

schulju

Hey gang!

Okay, call me a coward! I pass the Seafood in the Buff stand along 355 in Germantown (Between 118 and Middlebrook Rd) just about every day. There's always a line in front of this decrepit looking trailer by the side of the road. I'm just too much of a germaphobic to stop off and try without hearing from someone who has actually tried (and survived) their products. Please let me know!

They actually have trucks all over, and at least one fixed store that I know of, on Georgia Avenue, just south of Randolph Road. A few years back (maybe more than a few) I got crabs for a crab feast from there. Not recent enough to make any comment about them, and since I purchased from the store, I really don't know about the trucks. Sorry that wasn't much help. :blink:

Indeed it is one of those unfortunate realities of life. To Mr. Jones and his family I send my prayers.

I know this is an old thread, but when it came up on a google search I just had to respond...

1) I had the same initial reaction. You want me to buy SHELLFISH from a TRAILER on the side of the road?

...but then I got really desperate for crab one day. It's awesome. Totally and completely awesome. Reasonable prices, and even the fresh-frozen snow crab is much better quality than what you find in the grocery stores.

2) Despite the death involved, I just drove by the Germantown location today and it seems to be up and running. In fact, I'm on my way there now. I just hope the quality is the same or better than it has been previously.

Happy crab crackin'

Enig.

I don't know if this stuff is cooked already or not, but growing up near Baltimore we had trucks like this all the time with live crabs. They were better priced - we would always go there and get them for cooking. And the advantage was that we could usually get the tongs to see if they were heavy or not.

Are there these type of setup a little closer to NOVA then Germantown or Baltimore? I remember seeing them in woodbridge/lorton area when I was really young but that was during the nixon administration.

This place is great! I've purchased from this place a dozen times already and their crabs are always much fresher than any grocery store. Once you get them home, they fight like crazy. The price is right and the best part is that Jimmy (mexican guy who's always smiling) always gives out one or two more than what you bought. Don't let the looks dissuade you. Try it out!

Edit: Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the business in any way, just a fan of the place.