Take It Off The Menu Please

hillvalley

For me it's my father's chestnut puree. And when I say puree I really mean paste. Cooked chestnuts, grand marnae (I have no idea how to spell this word), and heavy cream. Sounds like it could be good, but it's not. Because it's paste. Beige paste.

And we are required to eat at least one tablespoon full every year.

The members of my family are NOT good cooks, but I'm not quite ready to step up to the plate for the holiday meal. Heading home to PA brings out the lazy in me.

My aunt's green bean casserole (yes, with canned cream of mushroom soup) or the gravy from the jar. Those don't rate too well with me. I also want to chuck my health nut cousin's I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray out the window every time I see it on the table.

The upside: I lose weight pretty much every time I visit my family. :blink:

The members of my family are NOT good cooks, but I'm not quite ready to step up to the plate for the holiday meal. Heading home to PA brings out the lazy in me.

My aunt's green bean casserole (yes, with canned cream of mushroom soup) or the gravy from the jar. Those don't rate too well with me. I also want to chuck my health nut cousin's I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray out the window every time I see it on the table.

The upside: I lose weight pretty much every time I visit my family. :blink:

Green bean casserole with or without the french's onions? 'Cause that makes the difference. We never actually had that, but we do use the jarred gravy as a base to which we add pan drippings and stock cooked from the giblets and neck. I guess we've used it as a thickener more than anything else.

For me, I'd like to get that apples and yams dish I mentioned in another thread off the menu. It's innocuous enough, I guess, but every year I've tasted it and every year remember why I don't like it.

For Christmas Eve, it was always the pickled herring my grandmother would make us all put on our plates [shudder].