Northern Virginia Magazine

Bob Wells

I'd like to know what people think about the food writing in Northern Virginia magazine, now that it's upgraded from a glossy fishwrap to a full-fledged periodical.

Full disclosure: Warren Rojas is an old colleague of mine. I think he is a very funny, talented writer.

The current "Cheap Eats" issue has some good stuff about places I'd never heard of, such as Virginia Barbecue Company.

Howdy all,

I’ve been poking around on here for quite some time, but I’ve never had anything major to discuss—until now.

After some serious retooling, we are happy to present the beefed-up Northern Virginia Magazine web site (www.northernvirginiamag.com). Our updated Food and Wine section now features a wealth of useful dining information, including fully searchable restaurant profiles, my archived reviews, preview menus and even space for your dining feedback.

I’m also pleased to announce the debut of my weekly chat—Grill Warren (www.northernvirginiamag.com/restaurants/food_chat.html)—which kicks off this Thursday at 11 a.m.

So, please, dig into the site and tell us what you think. And, by all means, come by each Thursday to sound off on the good/bad/ugly of your dining week.

Suggest a visit to Clarendon. I did three searches for 3 different restaurants in Clarendon and came up bingo.

John,

My apologies if I've somehow missed one of your local favorites, but as you can see I've hit nearly a dozen Clarendon spots (http://www.northernvirginiamag.com/restaur...arch&type=2) and many more throughout Arlington.

As the relative NKOTB (the magazine debuted in February 2006), I'm very much trying to keep on top of everything. But I'm always open to suggestions and hope you'll help us grow by tossing out all manner of restaurants--sentimental favorites, neighborhood haunts, fancy newcomers, hard-to-find-but-well-worth-the-trek value joints--you'd like to see reviewed.

Thanks. I looked for Liberty Tavern, Boulevard Wood Grill and Harry's Tap room. Glad to see you've got 11th Street, as the Chef there deserves support, because he's doing good things. Anyway, it's good to see this project and I certainly wish you every success.

ETA: If you haven't already done so, take a look at Don Rock's list of Virginia establishments. It will give you a good start.

Howdy all,

Meant to blast this prior to this morning's live chat (http://www.northernvirginiamag.com/grill-warren/), but I got bogged down with phone interviews.

The long and short of it is, I've decided to open myself up to on-call reviewing by soliciting pitches for a monthly, web-only dining capsule dubbed "Steer the Seer."

Anything and everything is on the table--new places, cherished gems, transient food trucks--so long as it operates within Northern Virginia.

Nominations will be accepted during the first Thursday of every month (includes a 6-day grace period for those who wish to bark orders at me via social media), with the spot report posted during the last chat of each month.

Anyway, thought this might bring a little more transparency to the reviewing mayhem that is professional critiquing and, hopefully, expose me to the types of below-the-radar dining havens seasoned dining scouts often keep to themselves.

Looking forward to doing your bidding.

I always wonder why Warren's chats get so little attention, especially since the restaurant scene is shifting to Ballston and Clarendon, this little chat often goes unnoticed. Not to mention the fact that Warren explores far out places in VA that are worth visiting dining-wise, too.

I just wanted to raise this little magazine to the forefront a bit, also in light of the fact that our very own jparrott adds wonderful wine recommendations here and there.

Anyone have speculations why this gets overshadowed? Is it doomed like the Tyson's Corner dining scene?

I always wonder why Warren's chats get so little attention, especially since the restaurant scene is shifting to Ballston and Clarendon, this little chat often goes unnoticed. Not to mention the fact that Warren explores far out places in VA that are worth visiting dining-wise, too.

I just wanted to raise this little magazine to the forefront a bit, also in light of the fact that our very own jparrott adds wonderful wine recommendations here and there.

Anyone have speculations why this gets overshadowed? Is it doomed like the Tyson's Corner dining scene?

About a year ago, Tim Carman and I were talking about area food writers, and he went out of his way to praise Warren as a fine journalist, an excellent writer, and a master of the Northern Virginia restaurant world.

Out of the "3 T's," (Tim, Tom, Todd), Tim has been the only one who has acknowledged my existence during the past few years. Thus, I felt a duty to give him an exclusive on AIR-DC, and did.

After I had made my promise, Warren contacted me for an interview. We met for lunch, and I felt like a creep and a heel for not being able to say a word about it.

Then, Warren turns around and produces this piece. Forget the subject matter because it's not important; look at the WRITING. Look at the beautiful words, and then go deeper into his portfolio and read his other pieces. This guy can write circles around me, and is a hard-working, soft-spoken expert when it comes to the Northern Virginia dining scene.

Consider this a public apology, and a gesture of respect for this outstanding food writer.

Cheers,

Rocks