A Quirky Lunch, Something New and Refreshing

Murphie

who often comes to DC on business, and I'd like to move him off the Downtown/Dupont/Georgetown habits that he has fallen into over the years.

I'd like to show him something new and refreshing, maybe even a little divey like Granvilles, Argonaut or even Red Derby, but they are not open for lunch. I'd also like to have a relaxed conversation, so no place that needs to turn tables quickly, though that should not be such a problem in August on a Monday.

Metro accessible a plus, but not a requirement. DC or closeby, SVP.

Thanks

who often comes to DC on business, and I'd like to move him off the Downtown/Dupont/Georgetown habits that he has fallen into over the years.

I'd like to show him something new and refreshing, maybe even a little divey like Granvilles, Argonaut or even Red Derby, but they are not open for lunch. I'd also like to have a relaxed conversation, so no place that needs to turn tables quickly, though that should not be such a problem in August on a Monday.

Thanks

Not sure what's open for lunch, but ... Ching Ching Cha, Comet Ping Pong, Mark and Orlando's, C F Folk's, Pete's Apizza, Taqueria Distrito Federal, Madam's Organ, Outdoors at Cafe du Parc, Loeb's Perfect New York Deli, Moroni and Brothers, Dukem, Madjet, Taqueria Nacionale, Belga Cafe, Kanlaya Thai, Nandos, Bar Pilar, Chix, Coppi's Organic, Oohhs and Aahhs.

Thanks

Bet he hasn't been to the Tabard Inn. It might be in Dupont Circle but it is most definitely not of Dupont Circle. They definitely don't turn tables quickly!

Not sure what's open for lunch, but ... Ching Ching Cha, Comet Ping Pong, Mark and Orlando's, C F Folk's, Pete's Apizza, Taqueria Distrito Federal, Madam's Organ, Outdoors at Cafe du Parc, Loeb's Perfect New York Deli, Moroni and Brothers, Dukem, Madjet, Taqueria Nacionale, Belga Cafe, Kanlaya Thai, Nandos, Bar Pilar, Chix, Coppi's Organic, Oohhs and Aahhs.
Comet and Bar Pilar don't do lunch and Oohhhs isn't open on Monday.

Bet he hasn't been to the Tabard Inn. It might be in Dupont Circle but it is most definitely not of Dupont Circle. They definitely don't turn tables quickly!

Actually, thats often where they stay... :lol:

Thanks - I'm doing the no Mondays/No lunch filter on Don's list. So far Belga is looking best.

Actually, thats often where they stay... :lol:

Thanks - I'm doing the no Mondays/No lunch filter on Don's list. So far Belga is looking best.

Well that means they are pretty cool. How about the cafe at either the Smithsonian American Art Museum in the new atrium or the American Indian Museum? I'm not going to bet whether or not they have been to either! :-)

How about the cafe at either the Smithsonian American Art Museum in the new atrium or the American Indian Museum?
Summertimes and museum cafes do not equal a "relaxing atmosphere" because of tourist season. I remember going in the summer once and feeling like a squashed pancake because either the lines get too long to get the food or there was no place to sit.

If you want something cheaper (and homier) on 8th Street than Belga, there's Levi's Port Cafe, between the Marine Barracks and Navy Yard.

Thanks Pat, that did the trick. I had the shredded pork, mac and cheese and yams, all very nice. Loved the nutmeg in the yams. My friend, however, wanted to keep things light and ordered the "Fried Chicken Sandwich". That ended up being a breast and a drumstick on a plate, presented with two pieces of white bread in a baggie. Thats it, not even a side of mayo...more of a sandwich kit, I guess. He wanted something light, so he got it!

Service was great, BTW.

Next time, I'm getting the sweet potato pie - $2!