Larry's Ice Cream and Cupcakes, Owner Larry Cenkci's Dupont Circle Ice Cream Parlor - Open Since 1985

I'm surprised I couldn't find a forum for this place which I think has been there for years. Today was my first time actually tasting it though and it was great. I tried the cinnamon oatmeal cookie ice cream which tasted just like a cookie but instead opted for a scoop of my other taste cardamom almond.  This basement place has a really nice selection of ultra cream ice creams in your usual flavors and some more unusual ones like the ones I tried.  It isn't cheap though at $4.90 (with tax included) for one good sized scoop but it wa delish. They also have several types of fancy cupcakes, good looking baklava and a 5 layer coconut, chocolate brownie wedge that looked really good for some serious indulgence.

Larry's is an institution. It is the ice cream shop version of Seinfeld's infamous Soup Nazi. Or at least, it was. I think Larry has retired and his son now runs the place. But when I first started going there circa 2001 Larry was still around and if you asked for two many samples or took too long to order- he'd tell you to get out. Maybe the best part about the place is that the flavor selection never seems to evolve. Tequila sunrise (dark chocolate orange with chocolate chips) has been my favorite for over ten years.

I lived a block from Larry's from 2003-08, and enjoyed the ice-cream on many occasions. Larry never seemed Soup-Nazi-ish to me at all!! He did, however, have one forearm that was significantly more muscular than the other, presumably from many many years of scooping ice-cream.

They also do pints to go.

The cupcakes do not live up to the ice cream. Get the ice cream. My standby is the oreo. Shutup, I love it. The salted caramel is also great, but needs something a bit more bitter to balance it. For years, I would order the Libido (pistachio and.... baileys, I think?). They do use significant amounts of alcohol in the ones that have alcohol listed; keep that in mind if serving to children or people choosing to not drink.

Larry still runs the shop at night; his wife runs it during the day. There was a genial armenian guy that worked there for a while, but haven't seen him in several years.

Larry can be loud, and some days will flirt with every female that comes into the shop, whether she is 7 or 79. But he makes some damn good ice cream.

One of them (maybe the son?) is a bit of a lech, but the ice cream's pretty damned good.

[Can you expand on this? (It's something of a personal attack, so please at least provide some substantiation.)]

Note also that there's a Larry's Homemade mini-chain in Virginia which seems unrelated to the Dupont Circle Larry's - their ice cream is made at L&L Bakeries. That said, the Virginia website is www.larryshomemade.com, and the Dupont Circle blog is www.larryshomemade.blogspot.com so *something* is sort of skanky.

[Can you expand on this? (It's something of a personal attack, so please at least provide some substantiation).]

You won't get anything but anecdotal "evidence." Get ready for an onslaught of women who walked out of there (with or without ice cream) feeling creepy.

You won't get anything but anecdotal "evidence." Get ready for an onslaught of women who walked out of there (with or without ice cream) feeling creepy.

Or left after being yelled out for asking a question and "insulting" the staff and "questioning their integrity."  Said question was about the ingredients in one of the ice cream.  We were semi-regulars and I haven't been back since.  It's been 15 years.

[Can you expand on this? (It's something of a personal attack, so please at least provide some substantiation.)]

Yes, anecdotal"¦ when I went there (with a child) on more than one occasion, the up-and-down-resting-on-chest-area-then-back-to-face lingering look was creepy, not to mention a few verbal comments that added to the creepiness, all with an undertone that made me extremely uncomfortable (women, you know what I'm talking about -- different than a benign, ha-ha kind of thing)"¦ and happened enough for me to stop going there in spite of the delicious ice cream. I miss the ice cream, but don't feel comfortable going back.