Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DanielK

Copenhagen, Denmark

56 posts in this topic

I obviously have a lot of reading up to do, but I will be there for a weekend in mid-June following a work trip to Helsinki. What's one can't miss fine dining destination? Unfortunately, Noma just served its last meal at the old location and will be relocating later this year, so that's out. We will try to do one blow out dinner, and the others will be more reasonable.

What sources are you using to select restaurants?

I'm going for almost a week in July.  So far I've looked at the Michelin guide and picked out Kiin Kiin and Era Ora.  I need to find meself some Danish food - tasting menu preferred.

Oh, all these Michelin starred restaurants offer very expensive wine pairing.  I assume one can order wine by the glass? or maybe beer by the bottle?

On 3/31/2017 at 1:51 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

What sources are you using to select restaurants?

I'm going for almost a week in July.  So far I've looked at the Michelin guide and picked out Kiin Kiin and Era Ora.  I need to find meself some Danish food - tasting menu preferred.

Oh, all these Michelin starred restaurants offer very expensive wine pairing.  I assume one can order wine by the glass? or maybe beer by the bottle?

I want to reiterate my strong recommendation of Radio.  Really, really good food in a warm and friendly environment, and significantly cheaper than most of the other set menus in town.

Also, I want to put in a vote for a juice pairing at one of your meals.  I got the juice pairing at Noma, and by the end of the meal, everyone else at the communal table wished they had done the same thing.  Just interesting, unique, and delicious concoctions.  (I also got the juice pairing at Geranium, which was similarly delicious, so this isn't just a Noma-specific recommendation.)  And yeah, at the places I dined, you could definitely order wine by the glass if you were uninterested in the pairing.

We just got back from a week in Copenhagen.  Not a gourmet trip since we were with the two kids (11 and 13).  Still,we had a nice date night meal out one night and other good meals.  We stayed at townhouse in Vesterbro, around the corner from Pony.  

The best meal we had was at BOB (BioMio Organic Bistro). This restaurant was in the Meat Packing District and had a special where if the table orders the same thing, the meal is around $300 DK per person.  The wife and I enjoyed the Norwegian Lobster (small up charge), the Danish beef, and a cheesecake in jar that tasted like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  The beef was excellent and as was the lobster, except for the cheese "crisp" was slightly burnt on mine.  This was not family style meal, each of us received individual courses, just the same.  The restaurant also great deal called Prison Food, which for 25 DK per person you got all the water (fizzy or still) and bread you wanted.  

On Monday night, the Danish National Aquarium is open til nine at night.  The cafeteria serves good food, supposedly by some Noma alums.  I had a decent fish and chips with vinegar powder and Danish remoulade, ie, sweetish tartar sauce (I would have preferred regular tartar sauce).  The wife enjoyed a the fish cakes, but I found them a little rubbery to my taste.  Another good evening meal we had was at Meyer's Deli.  The son and I had  giant hamburgers and the wife had  a minestrone that looked like a bowl of Pho and the daughter had a kid's lasagna.  We ate sandwiches at Joe & the Juice, a ubiquitous coffee, juice, sandwich shop after touring Rosenborg Slot and the Round Tower church.  It was perfectly acceptable, and the young guys serving us were really nice.  Lagkagehuset bakeries are everywhere, but really quite good, especially for the "snails."  We had smorrebrod at a stall on Paper Island.  it was great but the place was a zoo, think Reading Market in Philly.  A calmer food court was West Market, a few blocks from our house.

Other bits and observations:

Copenhagen is expensive, but the high end seems less so than the lower and middle end places.

Groceries ranked:  Fotex > Irma > Netto

The Copenhagen Card is a great way to tour the city, even things as far as Helsingor (Hamlet's Castle) are included.

Buses are more convenient than the Metro.

Ignacio

And I just got back from 3 days there with a 7 year old so eating was on the fly. We stayed at the Axel Guldmesan hotel in Vesteboro - loved it.

I did plan two meals - dinner at Mother (https://mother.dk/) with delicious pizzas and a lovely panna cotta for dessert.  The pizzas were a lot like Pupatella.

And had lunch at Nørrebro Bryghus and enjoyed a saison beer brewed on the premises.  Servers were amazingly nice to my son and even discounted his meal.  I had a salmon thing that was delicious.

One other meal of note was in Elsinore - lunch at the cafe associated with Kronborg Castle.  Only 3 items on the menu. Son had meatballs which were quite good.  I had the traditional Danish herring with capers.  Lovely.

Hit the Lagkagehuset bakery in the airport for a danish (yes, really) and a loaf of the traditional Danish bread, which I'm having for breakfast every day.  Wonder if I can buy it here . . . . might call the embassy to see.

Loved the city as a whole and walked everywhere.  It was a great trip.

1 person likes this

On 4/19/2017 at 3:52 PM, beachgirl54 said:

And I just got back from 3 days there with a 7 year old so eating was on the fly. We stayed at the Axel Guldmesan hotel in Vesteboro - loved it.

I did plan two meals - dinner at Mother (https://mother.dk/) with delicious pizzas and a lovely panna cotta for dessert.  The pizzas were a lot like Pupatella.

And had lunch at Nørrebro Bryghus and enjoyed a saison beer brewed on the premises.  Servers were amazingly nice to my son and even discounted his meal.  I had a salmon thing that was delicious.

One other meal of note was in Elsinore - lunch at the cafe associated with Kronborg Castle.  Only 3 items on the menu. Son had meatballs which were quite good.  I had the traditional Danish herring with capers.  Lovely.

Hit the Lagkagehuset bakery in the airport for a danish (yes, really) and a loaf of the traditional Danish bread, which I'm having for breakfast every day.  Wonder if I can buy it here . . . . might call the embassy to see.

Loved the city as a whole and walked everywhere.  It was a great trip.

UPDATE on the bread - I emailed the embassy and they said "If you are close to an IKEA, I would suggest buying it there and bake it yourself. It is really good and you can add more seeds J Giant and specialty markets also usually carry pre-packaged bread – of course not as good as what you can get in Denmark.".