Cornucopia Deli, Norfolk Avenue in Bethesda

We have finally recieved our hand-cranked vertical prosciutto slicer (as far as we know, we are the first restaurant and the second business in the DC area to get one).  "What is THAT?" you ask.

The other being Cornucopia, a deli on Woodmont (?) in Bethesda.

They're real purdy.

The other being Cornucopia, a deli on Woodmont (?) in Bethesda.

They're real purdy.

Cornucopia is actually on Norfolk Ave in Bethesda. I went in a couple of months ago and the owner(who's name slips my mind) told me the slicers name was Francesca.

I have had computer problems... thrilled to see someone post about Cornucopia...

I went last Sunday... the owner is very nice but the sorbets are nicer... unbelievable sorbet... had three scoops: coconut, mango and another one... delicious...

Cornucopia is actually on Norfolk Ave in Bethesda.  I went in a couple of months ago and the owner(who's name slips my mind) told me the slicers name was Francesca.

I've enjoyed their prosciutto in the past and now I know at least part of the reason why. Has anyone tried their ravioli or other pasta?

Visited Cornucopia for the first time yesterday, and grabbed some subs for lunch. It's way down towards the quiet end of Norfolk Ave., beyond Bacchus and on the opposite side of the street.

Bit of a mixed bag on this visit. Both the mortadella and the sweet sopressata subs were delicious. Despite the beautiful paper-thin cuts from the slicer, I thought the prosciutto was a bit too dry and could have been a lot more intense, but that might have been that particular ham. Sfogliatelle had become limp and chewy from sitting around too much.

Product-wise, it's a small shop but carries some very useful finds. Martelli pasta, farro, and quite a variety of olives. A chocolate babka that turns out to be Gubeen's favorite brand. Pernigotti gianduiotti. An excellent "chilli" chocolate bar from Casa Don Puglisi - it's Aztec process (texture similar to Ibarra) but less sugary and more bittersweet than Bonajuto.

I've enjoyed their prosciutto in the past and now I know at least part of the reason why. Has anyone tried their ravioli or other pasta?

I love the spinach/ricotta ravioli and vodka sauce.

Found myself in this sector of Bethesda today, needing a small bite of lunch, so went into Cornucopia, remembered that the sandwiches, while delicious, are too large for me, decided to skip it, then... on the counter was a selection of dry salamis, marinated vegetables, sliced bread, cheese. He was doing a tasting; I asked if he'd be willing to put a small antipasto plate together for me, he was delighted to, and so I enjoyed a lovely light lunch at that tiny table outside, feeling a little continental, except for the view of the Duron store. The various salamis (and braesola) were really nice, I'll have to remember to go here when in need of charcuterie. Would love it if he carried a nice selection of cheeses as well.

But anyway, the point is that I really appreciate his willingness to just fix up a plate for me. I love that kind of store.

Also, over the years I've popped in occasionally for pignoli; no need to go to Baltimore for Vaccaro's.

Cornucopia is one of the places I will miss the most once I'm no longer working in Bethesda. It's perfect for an impromptu coffee meeting with coworkers, the sandwiches are quite good, and it's great for an occasional special ingredient purchase that I can build a pantry dinner around (a bit of ricotta salata, olives, canned cherry tomatoes, Italian sausage, specialty pastas, etc.). The owner is a sweetheart, too.