Wine Aerators

vsky

Here's a positive review a particular brand.

I have seen one in action, tasted the wine after the aerator a few times and thinks it will help for certain price ranges and varietal of wines. (Some wines just don't need any assistance.)

Thanks I tried to search for that but didn't find it!

Here's a positive review a particular brand.

I have seen one in action, tasted the wine after the aerator a few times and thinks it will help for certain price ranges and varietal of wines. (Some wines just don't need any assistance.)

Sounds about right to me -- it's been totally trial and error in our experience.

What I'd like to know, is whether the white wine aerator is really THAT different from the one for red wine, and whether using the red wine one for white wine would be bad in any way.

Sounds about right to me -- it's been totally trial and error in our experience.

What I'd like to know, is whether the white wine aerator is really THAT different from the one for red wine, and whether using the red wine one for white wine would be bad in any way.

I've used my red wine Vinturi several times for white wine. Sometimes it "saves the fae", sometimes not. It would be worth experimenting using your red wine version on whites before buying a second model.

Useless gadget IMO. All you need is a cheap pitcher to decant in to and a little time. If you are in a rush, swirl the pitcher a lot.

Hrm, my event planning brain is thinking we should have a "pitcher vs. aerator" tasting. Pit the exact same bottle against itself, one from a pitcher decant, the other from an aerator, with voting to determine a winner by type of wine.

Might be a fun and easy thing to do at the picnic. Stay tuned...

Hrm, my event planning brain is thinking we should have a "pitcher vs. aerator" tasting. Pit the exact same bottle against itself, one from a pitcher decant, the other from an aerator, with voting to determine a winner by type of wine.

Might be a fun and easy thing to do at the picnic. Stay tuned...

Take it a step further and decant a bottle a few hours prior to the other two bottles and see what differences there are there, too.

Take it a step further and decant a bottle a few hours prior to the other two bottles and see what differences there are there, too.

Exactly.

And have a couple of different aeration models, if possible.

I feel an A-Team quote coming on...

(and also)

(wwtd)

(what would t drink?)

My Vinturi has cracked inside, originating from the interior edge of an air hole.

The crack does not seem to impact functionality.  Web searches reveal this is a common issue.  Looks kinda cool, did not photo well or else would enclose pic.

P.S.  Guests adore the Vinturi.  Makes subsequent pours feel more like a celebration, and does boost drinkability for less expensive selections.

I received a wine aerator for my birthday.  For lack of a better description, it's the globe kind.  I've used it almost exclusively with reds, and have found it's been useful for some wines and not for others.  There is one wine that I had that needed about 45 minutes of open bottle time before it was good to go and the aerator worked well to speed things up.

My practice is to pour a small amount of wine and taste it, then pour some more through the aerator and taste the difference.  Sometimes the aerator is the way to go, and other times it isn't.  I've actually had a situation where one person liked the aerated version and another preferred it without.

My personal opinion is that it's not a bad thing to have.

• Like 1