You Know Your Kid is Going to be A Foodie When...

bookluvingbabe

When you strategically arrange for your 12-year-old to do a stage, knowing damned well he'll come home tired, sweaty, and sick of listening to people talking in Spanish, thus curing him once-and-for-all of this multi-year "phase" he's been going through ... and when you pick him up, he says, "uh, dad, I'm sorry to tell you this ... but I still want to be a chef."

OVER MY DEAD BODY!

When you strategically arrange for your 12-year-old to do a stage, knowing damned well he'll come home tired, sweaty, and sick of listening to people talking in Spanish, thus curing him once-and-for-all of this multi-year "phase" he's been going through ... and when you pick him up, he says, "uh, dad, I'm sorry to tell you this ... but I still want to be a chef."

OVER MY DEAD BODY!

I've got one of those too. Although mine is 21 and cost me a fortune putting him through Johnson&Wales :D

OVER MY DEAD BODY!

You could eat free for life!

OVER MY DEAD BODY!

The surest way to lock in a desire is to indicate your disapproval. Your only solace may be that this is very young for a child to determine a life course that actually comes to pass. If it continues, then you will know that he is an artist--it is not something he has chosen, but something that he must do. In that case, all you can do is step back and allow him to do what he must do in order to fulfill his destiny. Before any of my peers had any clue what they wanted to do with their lives, I knew that I was an actress. It was when I was fifteen. It came as an epiphany, and nothing my parents could say or do to try to dissuade or frustrate me had any effect whatsoever. It wasn't something I wanted to do, it was who I was. I found teachers who would let me take their classes for little or no money. My parents were not supportive at all, so I dropped out of college and left home as soon as I turned eighteen, and went to NY to pursue my dream on my own. If he really is a chef, don't make him choose between that and you.

The surest way to lock in a desire is to indicate your disapproval. Your only solace may be that this is very young for a child to determine a life course that actually comes to pass. If it continues, then you will know that he is an artist--it is not something he has chosen, but something that he must do. In that case, all you can do is step back and allow him to do what he must do in order to fulfill his destiny. Before any of my peers had any clue what they wanted to do with their lives, I knew that I was an actress. It was when I was fifteen. It came as an epiphany, and nothing my parents could say or do to try to dissuade or frustrate me had any effect whatsoever. It wasn't something I wanted to do, it was who I was. I found teachers who would let me take their classes for little or no money. My parents were not supportive at all, so I dropped out of college and left home as soon as I turned eighteen, and went to NY to pursue my dream on my own. If he really is a chef, don't make him choose between that and you.

The "over my dead body" thing is an ongoing joke we have; nothing more. But thanks for the well-intentioned (if condescending :blink:) advice.

And, since you asked, he wanted to be a chef at around age 9, then that changed to a "roller coaster ride tester" at age 10, then to a pastry chef at age 11, and now it's a "conceptual pastry chef," i.e., someone who doesn't actually work in a restaurant, but just comes up with recipes (*). In other words, he's probably going to be a lawyer ... OVER MY DEAD BODY!

(*) I've contacted Jose Andres for advice, but haven't heard back yet. :D

The "over my dead body" thing is an ongoing joke we have; nothing more. But thanks for the well-intentioned (if condescending :D) advice.
I apologise if you felt condescended to--not at all my intention. But I didn't get the joke, probably because it is a sore subject with me. I got the "over my dead body" message a lot when I was growing up and it resulted in nothing but tsuris.

It was Valentine's Day and after being stuck in the house for a week, BLPreschooler was itching to get out. He announced he wanted to go to Dino for polenta with mushrooms. We explained it was a holiday and we couldn't go. Maybe next week.

He agreed.

Long pause.

"What about Palena? Could we go there? Are they celebrating Valentine's Day too?"