Landini Brothers - Franco and Noe Landini's Tuscan Fare in Old Town Alexandria

I've been going to Landini Brothers for authentic Tuscan cuisine for more than two decades. It is reliable, usually very good and a real landmark on the first couple of blocks of King Street. The atmosphere in this place is incredible. The food is good, sometimes great, and maybe a little on the pricey side. But overall, this is a go-to place in Old Town when you want tradition, charm and atmosphere.

Last night I had the soft shell crab appetizer portion and the veal chop as the entre. Both friends had the veal scallopini special. By the way, the specials list numbered a good 6-7 items, and I have a feeling that the specials are the way to go here.

The soft shell crab was OK, but no different or better than a dozen of these I've had at various places since April-May. The veal was good and tasty, but not nearly the thickness or juiciness of the version I usually have at Zeffirelli's in Herndon. A nice Sangiovese at $34 contributed to the enjoyment factor.

I'd rate the atmosphere a solid A, the service a Washington-area typical B, the food a C and the overall experience in the B range.

http://www.landinibrothers.com/

Hi Don Members!

My husband, Mango, is a fabulous cook and discriminating diner. We dine out at least once a week and look forward to sharing our experiences and trying new places as we venture out. Last evening we went to an oldie but a goodie---Landini's in Old Town. Mungo had the oysters Rockafellas and the Halibut, I had the home made tortellini made with white truffles (both apps were delish!) and just because we shared the Veal Parm which was the best because of the high quality of the veal.

Great service and all in all a fine dining experience for us that we can count on for the periodic Friday night when you need to go big but want to be low profile and just have a cozy, classic Italian dinner.

Landini Brothers hit the spot again today for lunch. The caprese salad was very good, with surprisingly good tomatoes from who-knows-where, topped with very pleasant mozzarella and ribbons of basil, drizzled with a nicely aged balsamic vinegar and some extra virgin olive oil. A hit of cracked black pepper and down the hatch. Very good. Then came the special of soft-shell crab, fried crispy and not oily at all, accompanied by linguine that was perfectly al dente. Overall, pretty good.

• Like 1

Has anyone eaten here recently? I have family visiting and staying at the Embassy Suites in Old Town 12/26-12/28. They'd like to meet us somewhere for an early dinner on 12/27.  The fact that they make an effort to offer gluten-free food appeals to me (celiac). I've heard positive comments in the past about this restaurant, just wondering what the current word is.

Has anyone eaten here recently? I have family visiting and staying at the Embassy Suites in Old Town 12/26-12/28. They'd like to meet us somewhere for an early dinner on 12/27.  The fact that they make an effort to offer gluten-free food appeals to me (celiac). I've heard positive comments in the past about this restaurant, just wondering what the current word is.

I liked it last time... Old school Alexandria. They will make a puttanesca sauce if you ask

• Like 2

Three of us dined here tonight, and it was the same place it always was. The decor is vintage Old Town, there was the obligatory VIP in the back room, the prices are on the high side, and the veal was spot on. We all three enjoyed the Veal Landini, as unimaginative as that may have been, but the meal was quite good.

There are many other Italian establishments in Old Town and everywhere else in the DC metropolitan area, and quite a few of them are better than Landini Bros. But there are darned few that have Old Town charm oozing out of its pores more so than Landini.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

there was the obligatory VIP in the back room

Yes! I used to meet friends at Landinis every few months for several years.  One time, Tom Selleck was sitting at the table near the bar and close to the wall.  I was sitting at a table nearby and facing him.  It took a few minutes to clear my alcoholic haze to realize it was really him.  He stood to greet one of the Landinis- he's gigantic.  

15 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

the prices are on the high side

I almost choked when the bartender told me my 2 oz of rye cost $25.  However, I thought the entrees were reasonably priced given the service and atmosphere.  I also thought the quality was good- certainly the steaks were always cooked how I wanted.

Landinis's members-only cigar bar upstairs is really nice.  

Been eating there for decades! Always reliably good. They would always prepare a piece of salmon for my gf even when not on the menu, and they knew how to cook it properly.  For a party of four, they would prepare a pasta sampler. The children took over a few years ago and tried to institute modern restaurant methods, such as markings on wine glasses to help with portion control. Some of the old school waiters ignored them for regulars. A place both locals and tourists frequent. 

2 hours ago, Finatic said:

A place both locals and tourists frequent. 

And local (and visiting) VIPs. I remember a few years ago, I was walking in the front door, and walking out the same door at the same time was Mark Warner. We brushed each other slightly and I said an automatic "excuse me...." and then realized who it was, and immediately added "....Senator." He gave me a big smile and a nod.

• Like 1