Yuraku, Japanese with Sushi on Frederick Road in Germantown

I haven't been for dinner yet, nor ordered off the menu, but the $12 AYCE sushi buffet at lunch is spectacular.

Very good fish, cut to an appropriate size with a good proportion of well vinegared rice. A very good selection of fish and rolls, far beyond the usual tuna/salmon/veggie selections. Constantly refreshed - it's a small place, yet 3 chefs were constantly making rolls, and I never saw a single empty tray on the buffet. A few cold/hot noodle dishes, salads, seaweed, etc. Also some pretty decent tempura, including shrimp that were a pretty good size. Price also includes tea and mushroom miso soup.

No, this isn't Sushi-Ko/Kaz/etc. It's more like Kotobuki. But it's TWELVE DOLLARS. They lost money on me...

P.S. Closed Mondays, no matter what the website says, and at 1:30p today there was a wait (albeit brief) for a table.

I agree. Great place and great fish, especially for 12.95. There is a place in Chicago that I used to go to that had made to order sushi as much as you could eat for $17...This is as close as you can get to that out here and everything is fresh. Worth the drive if you have the time at lunch.

On 9/25/2009 at 6:53 PM, DanielK said:
P.S. Closed Mondays, no matter what the website says, and at 1:30p today there was a wait (albeit brief) for a table.

This place is almost always PACKED on weekends. Don't bother showing up without reservations, or else you'll wait for an hour (or longer).

I agree that the sushi here (in particular, the yellowtail and mackerel) is on par with Kotobuki. More expensive per piece, but they're huge so you probably end up paying about the same. Plus, we often get a whole bunch of freebies (grilled salmon head, small cup of egg custard, crudite, salad, miso soup) before the sushi arrives. The crab tartare appetizer is also excellent. Great balance of sweet and spicy.

My family regularly heads here when we are craving sushi or sashimi.  I can never predict what will be going on when we get there.  Either there are over 20 people waiting for tables and the carryout is dead, or the carryout is rockin and the dining room is empty.  Regardless, the food is always top notch.  I figured that on Friday with a lot of people out of town the wait for a table would be short.  I was right

Once seated, I started to notice that there were a lot of new faces working.  After our order was taken, I looked to the sushi bar to see if Sonny was there--he was not.  I began to wonder if Sonny sold the place.  Later that evening, a friend of a friend confirmed that they are certainly under new ownership.

What does this mean for Yuraku?  Who knows, only time will tell.  The food we were served that evening was still high quality and the staff was friendly and efficient.  Hopefully the change in ownership doesn't change the experience.

On 9/25/2009 at 6:53 PM, DanielK said:

Over seven-years later, it's still closed Mondays. :) The website, however, has changed from "yuraku.com" to "yurakusushi.com" (I fixed the link in your post).

I haven't been to Yuraku in over ten years.

Looking at that salmon on the website, I've decided that salmon sashimi is, to old Don, what pizza was, to young Don. Even when it's bad ....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Yes, but it is the original Yuraku closing, or opening a second location?

Here's a 2010 review of the original DC Yuraku in Germantown.

Sunny sold Yuraku several years ago.  Yuraku is still there and I don't think there is any signs of it closing.  Many think its not the same as when Sunny was the owner (I think it is the same if not a little bit better).  The new place would be totally unrelated to the original Yuraku.