Montreal Seasoning

Tom Power

I have always maintained that there is no better steak (or burger) than one cooked at home over a Weber grill fired with charcoal. I also have no doubt that Joe can cook a mean steak.

I also always recommend Montreal seasoning.

I'd say that his observations are perfectly valid and his results completely unsurprising.

(For what it's worth, by the way, I'd love for the Ray's thread to not be the reason people don't feel comfortable participating in this forum).

What is Montreal seasoning???

The McCormick's is a takeoff (or, in Waitman's opinion, an improvement) on the retail spice blend that you can buy at Schwartz's in Montreal. The "steak and beef" one is really good on steaks, but the "poultry" blend is even better on chicken.

what wine goes best with the McCormick mix? if only there was a wine shop in court house to ask these questions.....

I'm not a fan of Montreal seasoning. Good beef doesn't need that much stuff on it. I find it overwhelming. And, I had a most wonderful dinner at RTS tonight. It washed away all the stress of this week.

I agree-Montreal Seasoning throws the taste of steak "off" to me.

Now, Zora's mix is something that I will have to try!

You don't season with salt just before cooking? That is certainly flying in the face both of conventional wisdom and expert opinion.

Wait, what?

No, I just meant that I don't put salt in things like rubs that I'm going to stick in the pantry. I like to be able to control the level of salting at the time I'm cooking.

It's just like how you don't salt stock - what's right for a soup might be way too salty for a reduced sauce.

Wait, what?

No, I just meant that I don't put salt in things like rubs that I'm going to stick in the pantry. I like to be able to control the level of salting at the time I'm cooking.

It's just like how you don't salt stock - what's right for a soup might be way too salty for a reduced sauce.

Hmmm...I've always salted my chicken stock. I had not thought of not salting it..what do most DR's do with stocks. Salt? No salt?

Hmmm...I've always salted my chicken stock. I had not thought of not salting it..what do most DR's do with stocks. Salt? No salt?

Both conventional wisdom and expert opinion (thanks, Zora) would say NOT to salt stocks... for the reason I mentioned.

Anything that's not going to be eaten in and of itself (rubs, stocks) should, in my opinion, NOT be salted because you don't know how much salt the final application will call for.

For stock, think about this: let's say you "salt it to taste." Let's say that you've got 1 part salt to 100 parts stock. If you wanted to REDUCE that stock down to a sauce, think about it: you'll have 1 part salt to 50 parts stock. That's twice as salty. 25 parts. 2 parts? You'll end up with inedible sauce.

Both conventional wisdom and expert opinion (thanks, Zora) would say NOT to salt stocks... for the reason I mentioned.

Anything that's not going to be eaten in and of itself (rubs, stocks) should, in my opinion, NOT be salted because you don't know how much salt the final application will call for.

For stock, think about this: let's say you "salt it to taste." Let's say that you've got 1 part salt to 100 parts stock. If you wanted to REDUCE that stock down to a sauce, think about it: you'll have 1 part salt to 50 parts stock. That's twice as salty. 25 parts. 2 parts? You'll end up with inedible sauce.

Yup. Makes sense. Thanks much.

The McCormick's is a takeoff (or, in Waitman's opinion, an improvement) on the retail spice blend that you can buy at Schwartz's in Montreal. The "steak and beef" one is really good on steaks, but the "poultry" blend is even better on chicken.

Yeah -- that's the one we tried. Not bad stuff, but somehow the McCormick's does it for me more despite my innate food snobbery.

what wine goes best with the McCormick mix? if only there was a wine shop in court house to ask these questions.....

Any cheap Cabernet blend.