dr.com Half-Price Happy Hour at Restaurant 3

DonRocks

Tuesday, October 20th: Restaurant 3 happy hour featuring insanely priced $3 pints of beer, and exclusively for us: half-price bottles of wine, and ... all appetizers 50% off.

I just got off the phone with Brian Robinson, and next Tuesday's happy hour is a go. There will be no limit to the number of people who can attend, and everyone should feel free to bring as many guests as you'd like. The specials will be available from 6-8 PM, but the beer prices will still be discounted if you want to come before 6 and have a couple pints.

If you go to Restaurant 3's website (click here), then click on "Dinner Menu," you can see all of the appetizers that are half-off - they're the ones listed in "The Start" section. Fully seven of the appetizers will be priced at $4.50 or less. I recently wrote about the Short Rib Quesadillas here, and these will be discounted to $5.50.

You should be able to eat and drink lustily this evening for $10-20 a person.

There's a big lounge area at Restaurant 3, and they'll be able to handle the crowd, so there's no "need" to RSVP, or post here that you're coming (although you can if you want to). Just show up, and have a good time! Restaurant 3 is a quick two-block walk from the Clarendon Metro stop. Click here for the map.

Maybe Brian can chime in with some more details, when he gets a moment, as well.

Cheers!

Rocks.

P.S. Please tip generously.

BUMP!!!

I know we said there wasn't a need to RSVP, but since there wasn't any chatter in the topic, I wanted to make sure this was still in people's heads to attend.

Indeed.

Maybe we should let them know we'd also be happy to preview their Week of Bacon, which starts the following day.

<insert trite alarm, i know>

And I'd like to propose in advance some intense teamwork for the purpose of getting through the entire app. menu.

Twist my arm, I'm in. I've already had the pot roast quesadillas (I will happily eat them again) and the wings (ditto) but I really want to give some of the other items a shot. If they still have the Hofbrau Oktoberfest on tap I will be a happy man.

Twist my arm, I'm in. I've already had the pot roast quesadillas (I will happily eat them again) and the wings (ditto) but I really want to give some of the other items a shot. If they still have the Hofbrau Oktoberfest on tap I will be a happy man.

I'll be there, and I have it on good authority that there should be some previews of Bacon Week available for the early birds (and isn't happy hour *all* for the early birds?)...:(

And I'd like to propose in advance some intense teamwork for the purpose of getting through the entire app. menu.

Ahead of you on this one. I figured out last night that it will cost, at half price, exactly $60 to get one of everything on the app menu (12 apps). So a group of 4 - that's $15 and 3 apps each - add a couple of brews, and that's dinner for $21 plus tax and tip. Woohoo!

I have it on good authority that there should be some previews of Bacon Week available for the early birds (and isn't happy hour *all* for the early birds?)...:(

To think that I was considering staying at my internship later than usual so as to avoid showing up at the restaurant too early. That plan is out the window.

Ahead of you on this one. I figured out last night that it will cost, at half price, exactly $60 to get one of everything on the app menu (12 apps). So a group of 4 - that's $15 and 3 apps each - add a couple of brews, and that's dinner for $21 plus tax and tip. Woohoo!

Awesome. Group tactics are definitely the way to go, since there are too many options on there I'd like to try.

Then I will target 5:30 instead of 6. :(

To think that I was considering staying at my internship later than usual so as to avoid showing up at the restaurant too early. That plan is out the window.

I don't know that "early bird"-ness kicks in before the official start of the event (no information it does or doesn't). Just be at the starting line ready for the gun at 6 sharp! :P

First and foremost, I'd like to thank Don for organizing this event and Brian for being such a gracious host.

Last night they had their 3 dollar drafts (Allagash, Dogfish Head, Bells Oktoberfest, Hofbrau Oktoberfest, Sam Adams Oktoberfest, Dans Pale Ale) but also an excellent selection of half price wine by the bottle. I personally had the Hofbrau Oktoberfest (very light for an Oktoberfest), the Bells Oktoberfest (excellent, Bells never lets me down), and a bottle of Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin (its brewed in my hometown of Easton, PA so I figured I had to try it). I was there until about 730 and there were about 10 of us in 3's spacious back lounge.

In terms of food we were determined to get through the entire offering of appetizers (which at half price I felt was a flat out steal) and by the time I left, all had been ordered. Brian was kind enough to kick us off by bringing out a platter of his "bacon on a stick" which was house cured and accompanied by dollops of mustard which I found to be a nice side kick for the bacon. After this small preview of "Bacon Week" I may have to make my way back to try the bacon wrapped shrimp. At that point we went to work sampling the entire apps menu. I would say that the name of the game here is to stick to what they they do best - dishes with a southern bent:

- Southern Fried Oysters: The plate of oysters had a large portion of lightly fried oysters with a coat of cornmeal that was light and airy as opposed to over-battered which seems to be all too common. I would order these again in a heart beat.

- Scallops & Grits: I'll admit right out front that I'm a sucker for all things grits, so I really enjoyed these. The scallops were nicely done (not rubbery at all) and went very well with the grits/taso ham. I would definitely consider getting these as a main course the next time I dine at 3.

- Short Rib Quesadillas: While I tend to go back and forth regarding corn vs. flour tortillas (corn tortillas are used for this and I'm still undecided about their texture) I really enjoyed the short rib filling and thought that the Chiptole sour cream was a nice addition. They also aren't the typical overflowing with cheese quesadillas which really let the base filling come through.

We tried some of the more traditional apps (Calamari, Stuffed Mushroom, etc) but on the whole I think they were fairly standard bar food. This didn't come as a huge surprise b/c their focus is so strong on their southern tinged items, I'm not sure why you'd want to move away from them for the more "classic" bar foods anyway.

So to wrap it up, as I've mentioned in other posts in the Restaurant 3 thread and here, I firmly believe that 3 is head and shoulders above its competitors in the area in terms of its happy hour and last night only gave me continued confirmation of that.

First, thanks Don and Brian for putting on this event! It was my first dr.com event and I'm looking forward to the picnic on Sunday.

I always love going to R3, but this was the first time I've had the chance to try all of the appetizers.

The wine and Beer list is wonderful, and you can't beat the 2006 Stag's Leap Petite Syrah for $30!

On to the starters:

1. I've had the Southern Fried Oysters a couple times now and I absolutely love them every time; I think everyone there agreed with this.

2. The Scallops and Grits were probably the #2 dish of the night

3. Bleu Cheese Chips - You had to eat them right away before the chips got soggy from the cheese, but I would certainly eat them again.

4. Risotto tater tots - My fiancee gets these every time we go to R3; I think the best part is the dipping sauces they come with.

5. Fried Green Tomatoes - Last time I was at R3 with a vegetarian friend he ordered these and loved them; last night I enjoyed them, but the tomato slices were a little thin so the breading overpowered the tomato.

All in all it was a great night and now I've got a few more starters I know I'll enjoy the next time I go to R3.

Again, thanks Don and Brian!