Acadiana Po' Boy Fundraiser - Round Two!

TedE

We just posted this under Hurricane Relief Efforts. All of the details are below. Thanks for your support!

“Po’ Boy Power!” Is Rolling Out The Dough -- Women Chefs and Louisiana Delegates Taking Charge, November 1, 2005 in DC

Following the success of its initial event, a second “Po’ Boy Power!” fundraiser has been scheduled with the support of the Washington DC chapters of Les Dames d’Escoffier and Slow Foods International. This event will be held November 1, 2005, All Saints’ Day, a religious holiday widely celebrated in New Orleans. Po’ boys will be sold for donations of $25 and up at Acadiana (a Louisiana style restaurant under the direction of Executive Chef Jeff Tunks), located at 901 New York Avenue, NW, in Washington DC. Sandwiches will be sold from 11:30 am-2:30 pm. The po’ boys will be assembled by female chefs from the DC area paired with politicians and other local personalities with ties to Louisiana. The first Louisiana dignitaries to come on board were The Honorable Lindy Boggs, Congressman Charlie Melancon, and former Congressman Robert Livingston. Donations from this event will be used to limit the devastating effects of Hurricane Katrina on Louisiana farmers, harvesters, fishermen, and seafood purveyors. All funds raised will be distributed directly to affected farmers through Slow Food International’s Terra Madre Program. Can the women top the $27,000 the group of male chefs raised in September? So far, we can look forward to the talents and efforts of Laurie Weber Alleman (The Swiss Bakery), Susan Callahan (Synergy Arts), Ann Cashion (Cashion’s Eat Place and Johnny’s Half Shell), Gillian Clark (Colorado Kitchen), Patrice Dionot (L’academie de Cuisine), Ruth Gresser (Pizzeria Paradiso), Carla Hall (Alchemy Caterers), Kate Jansen (Willow Restaurant), Haidar Karoum (Asia Nora), Janis McLean (Red Dog Cafe), Bridget Meagher (Alexander’s in Charlottesville), Joan Nathan (cookbook author/writer), Nona Nielsen-Parker (Stone Mill Bakery, Cafe & Catering), and Anna Saint John (Catering by Anna Saint John).

The first “Po’ Boy Power!” fundraiser was held at Acadiana restaurant in Washington DC on Monday, September 12, 2005 and raised more than $27,000 for the Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation.

“I got the power! I ate a po’ boy!”

For more information:

Simone Rathlé

simonepr@aol.com

So, what kind of poor boys?  Last time it was either shrimp or beef.

We will be offering shrimp remoulade po' boys and roast beef po' boys as we did last time. Updated details about the event, including the chefs and politicians who are participating, is below. Thanks!

“Po’ Boy Power!” Is Rolling Out The Dough

Women Chefs and Louisiana Delegates Taking Charge, November 1, 2005 in DC

Lieutenant Governor Mitch Landrieu Is Ordering His Po’ Boys In Person

Following the success of its initial event, a second “Po’ Boy Power!” fundraiser has been scheduled with the support of the Washington DC chapters of Les Dames d’Escoffier and Slow Food International. This event will be held November 1, 2005, All Saints’ Day, a religious holiday widely celebrated in New Orleans. Po’ boys will be sold for donations of $25 and up at Acadiana (a Louisiana style restaurant under the direction of Executive Chef Jeff Tunks), located at 901 New York Avenue, NW, in Washington DC. Sandwiches will be sold from 11:30 am-2:30 pm. The po’ boys will be assembled by female chefs from the DC area paired with politicians and other local personalities with ties to Louisiana.

The Louisiana dignitaries who have come on board are The Honorable Lindy Boggs, Congressman Charlie Melancon, former Senator John Breaux, and former Congressman Robert Livingston. And guess who is coming to dinner, well, lunch really – Lt. Governor Mitch Landrieu (LA) will be in attendance with his staff; they have made a special trip to DC to discuss his newly established foundation.

Donations from this event will be used to limit the devastating effects of Hurricane Katrina on Louisiana farmers, harvesters, fishermen, seafood purveyors, and the cultural arts community. The funds raised will be distributed to two groups, Slow Food International’s Terra Madre Program which will benefit the farmers directly and The Louisiana Economic Culture Foundation recently established by Lt. Governor Mitch Landrieu.

Can the women top the $27,000 the group of male chefs raised in September? So far, we can look forward to the talents and efforts of Laurie Weber Alleman (The Swiss Bakery), Susan Callahan (Synergy Arts), Ann Cashion (Cashion’s Eat Place and Johnny’s Half Shell), Gillian Clark (Colorado Kitchen), Patrice Dionot (L’Academie de Cuisine), Lynn Foster (private chef), Ruth Gresser (Pizzeria Paradiso), Carla Hall (Alchemy Caterers), Kate Jansen (Willow Restaurant), Jamie Leeds (Hank’s Oyster Bar), Janis McLean (redDog Cafe), Bridget Meagher (Alexander’s in Charlottesville), Joan Nathan (cookbook author/writer), Nona Nielsen-Parker (Stone Mill Bakery, Cafe & Catering), Caroline Bruder Ross (Rick’s Wine and Gourmet), Anna Saint John (Catering by Anna Saint John), and Susan Wallace (Black Salt).

The first “Po’ Boy Power!” fundraiser was held at Acadiana restaurant in Washington DC on Monday, September 12, 2005 and raised more than $27,000 for the Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation.

I've forwarded this info to just about everyone I can think of and I've had several people ask me how much of the $25 goes to the relief effort. Can you provide some info? I'm trying to help folks see this as something other then an expensive sandwich. Thanks!

I've forwarded this info to just about everyone I can think of and I've had several people ask me how much of the $25 goes to the relief effort.  Can you provide some info?  I'm trying to help folks see this as something other then an expensive sandwich.  Thanks!

Food for the event has been donated by restaurant suppliers and vendors and other companies have also made cash and in-kind contributions. All of the $25 goes to the relief efforts; the money is being split between Slow Food International's Terra Madre Fund and the Louisiana Cultural Economy Foundation.

Thank you for your support and we hope you'll all stop by for a po' boy tomorrow between 11:30 and 2:30 at Acadiana.

This is what the Slow Food website says about the fundraiser:

As part of the effort, the Acadiana restaurant (901 New York Avenue NW, Washington DC, 202/408-8848) has scheduled a storm benefit for Louisiana the farmers, harvesters, fishermen and seafood purveyors worst hit by Hurricane Katrina. From 11.30 a.m. to 2.30 pm on November 1, All Saints Day, po'boy sandwiches, assembled by ten female chefs paired with politicians and other local personalities with ties with Louisiana will be sold for donations of $25 and over. All funds raised will be distributed through the Terra Madre Program directly to the people affected.

The proceeds going from a food event going to those involved in food growing/harvesting/preparation seems appropriate to me.

The "Cultural Economy" organization, I don't know about. It does somewhat broaden the definition of "relief efforts."

Edited by jm chen

If anyone from the board is going to be at Acadiana tomorrow, and you'd be game to be interviewed for a short film documentary on the fundraiser/po boys, please PM or e-mail me! (I'm a Masters film student at American University using this for a class project).

Danke, and feel free to say hi to the chickie with the film camera :lol:

Hello all this morning we are here making sandwiches by the box load and ready to sell sell sell. And I saw the e-mails about some may be worried about where the money is going. I am the founder of PO BOY POWER and I can assure you the money is going directly to the farmers, oyster and shrimpers and the LOuisiana Cultural Foundation was developed by LT Governor Mitch Landrieu who will be here to today to speak to those coming to get po boys and in the afternoon to folks on the hill about this Foundation. He is the brother to Senator Mary Landrieu and his father was a past time Mayor of New Orleans. He is most qualified and trustworthy to funnel the funds we make today to the ones in need. The cultural foundation gives money to chefs, artists, musicians who have lost it all. I just came back from my hometown New Orleans this past Sunday and it is horrific. I wish we could sell more than 1,000 sandwiches today as they need so much more than what is exposed on TV! Please come down and buy a sandwich. Also I was appointed to the commitee with Slow Food to make sure the funds went to the farmers they are in touch with in Slow Food. Also all the chefs of Les Dames d'Escoffier are here to support as well. I hope we have your support today. Thank you Simone

I am the founder of PO BOY POWER and I can assure you the money is going directly to the farmers, oyster and shrimpers and the LOuisiana Cultural Foundation was developed by LT Governor Mitch Landrieu who will be here to today to speak to those coming to get po boys and in the afternoon to folks on the hill about this Foundation.

There's no question in my mind that this is a great worthy cause that needs to be supported by people on this website.

Go!

Get your Po' Boy thing on! C'mon, dudes, let's go right now!

Let's do it, troops!

Rocks.

At 11:28, they were still kind of getting ready ("Two runners over here." "Okay... what all does a runner do?") but I was the fourth person on the credit card register, so not even first in line.

Mmmmm, scrimps.

They also appear to be giving away T-shirts from the first event with your sandwich and chips. Not sure how long supplies will last.