Drinking in the Afternoon Near Metro Center

NolaCaine

Not too far away - 7th and G - is RFD. Food's not great but a large selection of beer on tap and an even larger one in bottles.

Also near there is Proof. I've not been but have heard great things.

Proof doesn't open until 5:30pm. But yes, it's great.

I always recommend Clyde's at Gallery Place for drinks. And at happy hour, the half priced raw bar can't be beaten. I especially love the shrimp cocktail, where each shrimp is about size of a small lobster tail, and the orca platter, loaded with oysters, shrimp, crab claws, lobster tail....did I mention half price?

Proof doesn't open until 5:30pm. But yes, it's great.

I always recommend Clyde's at Gallery Place for drinks. And at happy hour, the half priced raw bar can't be beaten. I especially love the shrimp cocktail, where each shrimp is about size of a small lobster tail, and the orca platter, loaded with oysters, shrimp, crab claws, lobster tail....did I mention half price?

Thanks all.

I'm curious about the quality of the raw bar at Clyde's...is it good/great/ or does the quality change?

I think the quality of the shuckers and bartenders is better at OEG than at Clyde's. The bivalves likely all come from the same place, are probably the same price, and are the same 1/2 off during the raw bar happy hour.

Note that the hours of the raw bar half price changes from one location to another, and some (most?) locations require you to actually be in the bar to get the special.

I think the quality of the shuckers and bartenders is better at OEG than at Clyde's. The bivalves likely all come from the same place, are probably the same price, and are the same 1/2 off during the raw bar happy hour.

Note that the hours of the raw bar half price changes from one location to another, and some (most?) locations require you to actually be in the bar to get the special.

I joined Mrs. B for some raw stuff at Clyde's not long ago and found everything to be quite as scrumptious as those served at Old Ebbitt, and the bartender quite as friendly.

On the other hand, all things being equal, I would choose the Old Ebbitt over the Clyde's in a second, based on general atmosphere. And, while I found my bartender perfectly lovely, the cream of the Clyde's crop rises into Old Ebbit and the Georgetown Clyde's, so it's not unlikely that, on an average basis, you'd be better of there for the service as well.