La Union and La Union Market, North Arlington - Mexican-Salvadoran on Wilson Blvd (Restaurant) and Lee Hwy (Market)

This is an excellent place for anyone looking for quality fresh latin food. In the back of the market there is a butcher, that has excellent meats btw, where orders are taken for the food. They offer a range of food low prices. Today I had a bean and cheese pupusa, slaw and two corn tamales for a whopping $4.00. The meal is served with fresh pico and sour cream.

The store is located on old lee highway a bit east from the lee heights shopping center.

LA UNION GROCERY
4308 Lee Hwy
Arlington, VA 22207
703-812-9484

I agree about the butcher in the back, nothing fancy, but they do good food, and they do it fast and cheap. I frequently get a lunch there, a beef empanada, a pupusa revuelta with salsa and cabbage, and a corn tamal with sour cream. $5 and I am out the door in 5 minutes with a delicious lunch.

I agree about the butcher in the back, nothing fancy, but they do good food, and they do it fast and cheap. I frequently get a lunch there, a beef empanada, a pupusa revuelta with salsa and cabbage, and a corn tamal with sour cream. $5 and I am out the door in 5 minutes with a delicious lunch.

I completely agree about the quality. The masa on the tamales is incredibly delicate. One caveat. Don't go exactly at noon as there is a really long line of locals.

La Union is notable for being the first restaurant I've been to that has served competent Mexican AND Salvadorian food. The El Tipico and Enchilada Trio both hit the spot on our first visit. The service is exceedingly friendly, and prices here are several dollars less than similar places in the area (El Ranchero, El Paso Cafe, Uncle Julios). Glad I was persuaded by the sales pitch for the 32 oz. Regia Beer - coldest, lightest lager between the 88th and 89th meridians.

Went to La Union Market last night when Lebanese Taverna Market was closed. Good to know they serve hot food until 11 pm. The chicken tamales here are very good, not a huge amount of chicken filling, but a great flavor and pretty good ratio of filling to tamale. Two heaping steak tacos on homemade tortillas with lettuce, tomatoes, avocado on the side plus pico and rice and beans for $10.50 it was a great deal.

We ate outside on the little picnic table and had a really nice meal. You wouldn't expect driving by that this little place has such good food, but it is a great little gem in the area, especially if you need a place open later. The grocery section is a nice little grocery with lots of good items.

La Union is my go-to for Mexican food these days.  I was on a Uncle Julio roll until a few months ago when their enchiladas took a turn for the worse.  La Union food tastes freshly made plus I want to give mom-and-pops more business.  I get the Enchiladas Trio and my husband gets the Combo Platter.