Writing Fair Critiques

porcupine

So, when is a restaurant going to write about a specific jackass customer?

Maybe they would be better off following George Bernard Shaws lead:

The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.

Most people that are acting like a jackass want attention of some sort, not giving it to them is the ultimate insult.

So, when is a restaurant going to write about a specific jackass customer?

They do, its called a managers log. Now maybe that could be the next blog site, call it 'The Managers Log', a reversal of roles. similar to waiter rant, but not nearly as annoying, more constructive, less bitchy and not picky.

Probably the past four times I have eaten out I have sat next to someone extremely picky/bitchy. I have felt really bad for the server/manager in all occasions. I tend to tip even more than normal in those situations.

What frustrates me sometimes is when I can't speak to a manager at the time of an incident, then write them a polite email just letting them know what happened and I don't even get a thank you for your email we are working on those issues.

I think on this board that most people make good judgment calls as to when to write what. When there is something negative I read that and evaluate it just as I do a positive post. Some I might take more to heart than others. But I think there is a place for everything written on here and that people typically do a pretty good job.

This may not be the most appropriate thread for an article I found in the Harvard Business Review about customer shakedowns and fair compensation. It states:

There are three forms of justice that sway customers after a service glitch: the fairness of the compensation, the convenience of the claims process, and the companys friendliness and level of concern.

And its the total of a companys efforts in these areas that matters. A company can compensate for smaller payouts with a smooth claims process and a friendly response. Having a manager speak with the customer immediately may help minimize compensation beyond the specific loss. In a study of Taiwanese chain restaurants, Chen-Tsang Tsai, of National Taiwan Normal University, and Ching-Shu Su, of Jinwen University of Science and Technology, found that managerial attention produced the highest levels of customer satisfaction, beating out free food, discounts, coupons, and replacement items.

This may not be the most appropriate thread for an article I found in the Harvard Business Review about customer shakedowns and fair compensation. It states:

Upon reflection, the premise is true in my case.

Recently, I sat at a table in a crowded (chain) place and didn't ever see a waiter. My wife said something to the host and the manager came right over to take our orders. He continued to wait on us for the evening and offered a free appetizer. I thought "you don't have to do that, we just wanted to be waited on, and you've accomplished that."

But I didn't say it :)

Point is, I'd agree that the attention is almost always at the root of it. i suspect some people/places in the industry might get gunshy about this because it isn't ALWAYS true, I suspect there are times when a customer feels entitiled to things well beyond the norm, and any attempts to please that customer will be rejected. That's tough to handle, as the customer was angered once, then honest attempts to please them fail - it is very tempting (and probably correct) to blame the customer, and to never want to walk into that ambush again.