Convention Center

porcupine

Never been but maybe Chatman's D'Vine Bakery? They're more known for their sweet potato pie.

I stopped in there to buy something so I could get change for a parking meter. I ended up chatting with the proprietor for a while and perusing the menu. (I know it doesn't speak to the food, but she was delightful to talk to.)

I left with a slice of coconut pie, which knocked my socks off. I'll be back for red beans and rice as soon as I find myself in that part of town. (six years in NOLA, and I haven't found decent red beans since I left).

Never been but maybe Chatman's D'Vine Bakery? They're more known for their sweet potato pie.

I was able to escape the show for a little while yesterday and went to Chatman's. It was locked up, but a nice woman opened the door for me. Though absolutely nothing was on display, and the coffee maker was off, there was a delicious smell. The lady explained that her mixer had blown up and she needed to go get a new one, but she had managed to bake a few things early and would I like something? I got a red velvet cupcake. Pretty tasty and hit the spot, too. Hopefully she opens again soon - looks like a nice place.

Tomorrow if I can be late I'll try Nando's (they don't open 'til 11:30).

I stopped in there to buy something so I could get change for a parking meter. I ended up chatting with the proprietor for a while and perusing the menu. (I know it doesn't speak to the food, but she was delightful to talk to.)

Yes, she's extremely nice. I imagine she gets hit up for meter change ALL the time since there aren't really any other businesses there. We only got some water, but she was extremely nice about providing us with change for our meter.

It's that time of year again. I'll be at a booth at the auto show from noon-5:00 Monday through Friday next week; would like to pick up some good (carryout) nosh within, say, 15 minutes (walking) of the convention center entrance (don't laugh - it takes a good ten minutes to walk from the entrance to the booth if I'm walking fast). I never got to Chinatown Coffee last year, so I'll give that a try. Nando's is bleh. Cowgirl Creamery for sure at least once. Anything new around there that opens early enough? Thanks.

ps come by the SCCA booth and say hi if you're at the show

Thanks for all the recommendations. It ends up being logistically challenging to go almost anywhere in the given timeframe. I did try Chinatown Coffee and liked it so much I left home earlier the next day so I'd be sure to have enough time, and had one of the best lattes I've ever had. Nice looking lineup of pastries and such, but the bagel was pretty mediocre. Still, another great coffee place goes on the list. If I get a free afternoon I might go try El Rinconcito just to satisfy curiousity.