Mini-Cupcakes

bookluvingbabe

I should have known that raising a little gourmet was going to bite me in the pocketbook.

BLPreschooler is turning 4 next month. We are having a pizza making party for him and somewhere between 12 and 20 of his closest friends (plus their parents.)

We have been to any number of birthday parties this year and he NEVER likes the cake. He also goes off the deep end with any artificial dyes.

He has decided he wants mini-vanilla cupcakes for his party.

Hello Cupcake wants $18 per dozen. Lilly Magilly is $15 per dozen. I haven't called Georgetown Cupcake--they aren't his favorite and I assume they would be just as pricey if not more pricey.

Assuming 15 kids eating 2 cupcakes each, plus 20 adults plus extras to console myself with after the party is over we're looking at 5 dozen mini-cupcakes.

I can not make them. I have many fine talents but this isn't one of them.

So any ideas on decent mini cupcakes in the style of Hello Cupcake, Magnolia, etc., (i.e. sweet cake, sweet, not overly buttery frosting) that won't bankrupt me and that have real ingredients in them so the birthday party isn't swing from the chandelier?

(I don't actually own a chandelier)

Party is in Upper Montgomery County but Mr. BLB will be driving to BWI the morning of the party to pick up the grandparents so we are pretty open to location.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Thanks! I'll do a field trip to Giant for a taste test.

I'm particularly sensative to making sure he likes his birthday "cake" because my mother always ordered ice cream cakes for me. I hate ice cream cakes.

Maybe you can talk to the bakery dept at Giant and get a frosting made without any coloring? We had an amusing blue poo incident once after my daughter consumed some blue frosting on cupcakes that I think were from Giant.

My kid despises sheet cakes. I don't blame her. Shilla Bakery has become our go-to for her birthday cakes. We just bring her there and let her pick from among whatever they have on display. Their cakes tend not to be oversweetened, so they work for the adults, too.

Maybe you can talk to the bakery dept at Giant and get a frosting made without any coloring? We had an amusing blue poo incident once after my daughter consumed some blue frosting on cupcakes that I think were from Giant.

My kid despises sheet cakes. I don't blame her. Shilla Bakery has become our go-to for her birthday cakes. We just bring her there and let her pick from among whatever they have on display. Their cakes tend not to be oversweetened, so they work for the adults, too.

You could do Giant or other grocery for the large amount of cupcakes you need for the party, and then fancy mini cupcakes for his actual birthday at home, for just the immediate family. Or even see if he might be good with the fancy mini cupcakes for his actual family birthday, and a sheet cake (Costco makes terrific ones, actually) for the party. That's how we've always solved the 'want good cake'/'need to serve tons of people' conundrum.

I've never had any of their cakes, but it would seem like Sticky FIngers might be worth a call. It seems likely they're not going to be using the problem ingredients into their products. I didn't see minis listed on their menu, but a google search for their name and mini cupcakes brought up someone else's page that said they sell them by the dozen(s) only.

I know you have your problem solved, but I also can't say enough good things about Buzz.

Adore that place.

I love to bake, but need to be not-eating my own baked goods (or anyone else's) for some time (damned winter coat I seem to have found for myself). Now you've got me contemplating wanting to turn my attentions towards mini-cupcakes. Damn.