Dr. Brown's

DonRocks

I have this vague, nagging feeling that people think Dr. Brown's sodas are some sort of "special thing." I had a Black Cherry soda for lunch today, and noticed that the top two ingredients were 1) Carbonated Water and 2) High Fructose Corn Syrup. I Googled it just now and saw that the company is owned by 1) Canada Dry which in turn is owned by 2) Dr. Pepper Snapple Group.

Very quaint name, however.

I never thought that they were HFCS-free, like Boylan's, but it's a taste I grew up with, especially in a NY-style deli.

When I go to Taylor Gourmet, Boylan's Cream or Black Cherry are fabulous. But when I'm eating a pastrami sandwich at a good deli, Dr. Brown's Cream completes the experience.

I have this vague, nagging feeling that people think Dr. Brown's sodas are some sort of "special thing." I had a Black Cherry soda for lunch today, and noticed that the top two ingredients were 1) Carbonated Water and 2) High Fructose Corn Syrup. I Googled it just now and saw that the company is owned by 1) Canada Dry which in turn is owned by 2) Dr. Pepper Snapple Group.

And neither Boylon's nor anyone I am aware of produces a celery soda. Clearly an acquired taste, I absolutely love Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray, especially with deli. I remember hoarding several cases of the he diet version when I learned they were stopping production. Dr. Browm's is special - especially to us Jews you snobby anti semite!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cel-Ray

the company is owned by 1) Canada Dry which in turn is owned by 2) Dr. Pepper Snapple Group.

Also, since your quote is slightly misleading, it was ACQUIRED by Canada Dry, but it's been around for well over 100 years.

And neither Boylon's nor anyone I am aware of produces a celery soda. Clearly an acquired taste, I absolutely love Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray, especially with deli. I remember hoarding several cases of the he diet version when I learned they were stopping production. Dr. Browm's is special - especially to us Jews you snobby anti semite!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cel-Ray

Palena had a celery soda on the menu a few weeks ago that was fantastic. Don't know if it is still there though.

And Cel-Ray is the only thing that should be drunk with deli. No redheaded goy from Silver Spring would understand. :mellow:

Palena had a celery soda on the menu a few weeks ago that was fantastic. Don't know if it is still there though.

And Cel-Ray is the only thing that should be drunk with deli. No redheaded goy from Silver Spring would understand. :mellow:

R-150-204797-1132398614.jpeg

Hey!

Who's that eatin' that uncooked ham? ...

NASTY GOYS!

(cannot take credit for a Greaseman bit)

We were at Palena on Wednesday and they still had the celery soda. But as a suprise night out with Nana and Papa babysitting our 20 month old and a 10 day old, nothing but alcohol was on my wife's and my minds.

Pax,

Brian

It is the Cel-Ray that makes Dr. Browns special. The rest of their sodas are fine, but nothing all that special.

It was surprisingly easy to make a celery soda that was a decent knock-off of Dr. Browns. If I remember right, I used a quarter cup of celery seed into my just-boiled soda base (2 lb sugar, 2 lb honey for 5 gallons), let it steep for a bit, then strained, cooled, and carbonated.

Dr. Brown is special, not because it it the best of certain thing but it like other special foods to me, has the ability to bring back memories. BTW, the best Dr. Brown is cream soda not blk cherry.

I have become addicted to Jones diet vanilla soda....I even read the "fortunes" under each cap. Seems like a clean and socially responsible company....

www.jonessoda.com

Ah, but if they were truly socially responsible, they would never have unleashed the abomination that is their Thanksgiving flavor assortment! :mellow:

Count me among the fans of Dr Brown's cream soda with my pastrami. Is it better than, say, IBC? Probably not, but it's the memory that counts here.

I have become addicted to Jones diet vanilla soda....I even read the "fortunes" under each cap. Seems like a clean and socially responsible company....

www.jonessoda.com

I turned my favorite Jones' fortune cap into a refrigerator magnet. It reads: "Condoms prevent minivans". :mellow: