Six Horrifying Lies The Food Industry is Feeding You

KMango

Cracked.com cracks me up

(the word "crack")

(one little syllable)

(so many meanings)

In case anyone hasn't seen this yet, it's the best and most entertaining piece of food writing that I've come across in a long time. Pauli Poisuo, whoever (s?)he is, should be nominated for a James Beard award, IMO.

Maybe this is what it will take to get the masses of idiots (and yes, this most likely means YOU) to realize that Eric Schlosser (Fast Food Nation), Michael Pollan (The Omnivore's Dilemma), and all the others who essentially wrote this same piece, minus the humor, aren't just a bunch of angry, "liberal foodie intellectuals," as a New York Times book review once said.

I have to admit I'm caught by surprise about OJ. Flavor packets added to flavorless liquid? Worse than I could have thought.

Mr. MV loves a glass of OJ and I've all but weaned myself off of the stuff in cartons. At least he has subscribed to my gently nudging him to limit juice to a small glass and not use it as a chaser for food (water instead).

But, he does love it and I also enjoy a fresh squeezed glass, so I'm wondering if anyone here fresh squeezes?

What do you use as your juice press and where do you get juicing oranges?

I have to admit I'm caught by surprise about OJ. Flavor packets added to flavorless liquid? Worse than I could have thought.

Mr. MV loves a glass of OJ and I've all but weaned myself off of the stuff in cartons. At least he has subscribed to my gently nudging him to limit juice to a small glass and not use it as a chaser for food (water instead).

I read about the oj thing a while back. I didn't think it was on Cracked. It may have been here: http://consumerist.com/2011/07/oj-flavor-packs.html. I recall reading the Civil Eats article as part of the information process and that's linked at Consumerist.

I'm getting (have gotten) so jaded, it's hard to surprise me.

In case anyone hasn't seen this yet, it's the best and most entertaining piece of food writing that I've come across in a long time. Pauli Poisuo, whomever (s?)he is, should be nominated for a James Beard award, IMO.

For those of us of a certain age who remember Cracked (and to a lesser extent, Crazy) as a funnier, more-satirical, and lowbrow knockoff of Mad Magazine, their reinvention as a source of factual, "top N list" trivia is both bizarre and entertaining.

But I want you to know that the cynical factoid writing style is absolutely typical for this sort of thing, and the lists themselves are basically a knockoff of what Mental Floss magazine has been putting out for years. Which I must imagine are also inspired by decades of reading The Straight Dope.

For those of us of a certain age who remember Cracked (and to a lesser extent, Crazy) as a funnier, more-satirical, and lowbrow knockoff of Mad Magazine, their reinvention as a source of factual, "top N list" trivia is both bizarre and entertaining.

"Low rent" is more accurate than "lowbrow" - I think Cracked was 15 cents instead of 25 cents for Mad. The really odd thing is that kids like me got indignant over this blond child in a painters cap (or whatever their mascot used to be) trying to horn in on the stately (i.e., "established in our little minds") Alfred E. Newman (if you think about it, both were (and are) completely lame and idiotic), and became famous only because they were first to market. Refer to Robert Parker.