Thinking about old memories and good times.....

ctay122

I'm sorry I've been absent for so long....

But I was wondering and thinking about the good times that my husband and I used to have when we would meet DR members at Notti Bianche and PS1 for happy hours.....

Do you all do this anymore?

Unfortunately HHs went the way of the Dodo. There were also many good HHs at Firefly and Corduroy too.

These were semi-regular Friday happy hours held at convenient downtown locations (not as convenient as they were five years ago with parking challenges!)

There's no reason we couldn't start them again up every week. I'll be with Matt this Friday, but I could come somewhere and have an early dinner with him.

I would be game... we could rotate areas too? I know they all used to be downtown, but we could switch it up a bit, so more people could make them? Announce locations one month out for people to plan? I am available this Friday, if anyone else is. Where do people want to go??

As an aside, I would be happy to maintain/spearhead this if no one else wants to.

I think close to a metro is a must, at least for us. We don't want to have to navigate city streets or seek parking also, especially during Fri rush hours. Could it be done during the week after work also? Like a Wed hump day or something. Gosh,I miss those days!. I was thinking about Dino's, close to the metro and he is wanting some business during the week.....

Bear in mind that part of the reason those HHs were so successful is that the owners/chefs/managers were known to this board and welcomed us. Think of Derek Brown and John Wabeck at Firefly; Tom Power at the old Corduroy (which had a much bigger bar area than the new place); i.e., places that happily reserved their (usually) unreservable bar areas for us. That early heads-up and preparation made all the difference from our just showing up somewhere unannounced.

There wasn't always advance preparation, and when there was it was a business decision by the chef or manager. These days, restauranteurs have more internet outlets at their disposal to drum up business, and they are hiring publicists to arrange their Yelp happy hours or blogger dinners. It was the same back in 2005, except on a more primitive level.

Pick a place and a day, and see who can make it. Thanks for reviving interest. :)

Bear in mind that part of the reason those HHs were so successful is that the owners/chefs/managers were known to this board and welcomed us. Think of Derek Brown and John Wabeck at Firefly; Tom Power at the old Corduroy (which had a much bigger bar area than the new place); i.e., places that happily reserved their (usually) unreservable bar areas for us. That early heads-up and preparation made all the difference from our just showing up somewhere unannounced.

Barbara, even though it may not be obvious, there are a much greater number of restaurateurs here now than there were then (probably about the same percentage-wise, but on absolute terms). Firefly and Corduroy would still welcome us, I'm sure, but so would Eventide, New Heights, etc. etc. - the list goes on and on. Leigh's farewell HH, for example, was held at Proof, and a fair number of people showed up. If everyone wants to just pick a place, I'll be happy to make first contact.

Because of the holiday weekend and DR lunch planned for the 17th, that I am hoping to make, it isn't the optimal day for me, but I can try to make it. I am completely open February 24, or another day of the week.

I think there are lots of good options. New Heights and Eventide are both good thoughts, Fiola would be, as well. I could think of tons of others if need be.

There wasn't always advance preparation, and when there was it was a business decision by the chef or manager. These days, restauranteurs have more internet outlets at their disposal to drum up business, and they are hiring publicists to arrange their Yelp happy hours or blogger dinners. It was the same back in 2005, except on a more primitive level.

Pick a place and a day, and see who can make it. Thanks for reviving interest. :)

Has it been that long? Yikes!

Because of the holiday weekend and DR lunch planned for the 17th, that I am hoping to make, it isn't the optimal day for me, but I can try to make it. I am completely open February 24, or another day of the week.

I think there are lots of good options. New Heights and Eventide are both good thoughts, Fiola would be, as well. I could think of tons of others if need be.

I feel bad for opening this thread as I wouldn't be able to attend the holiday weekend or on the 24th being that we will be out of town, but I will make arrangements for any other time. I still think midweek might be an option if anyone is up to it...

Would like to suggest a celebration of Leap Year and a DR HH revisted celebration on Feb 29 with Dean Gold's blessing at Dino at Cleveland Park.

We would have the table in the grotto behind the bar as well as free space at the bar. Happy hour deals include $5.00 drinks, a $5 wine, $18 bottles etc. Antipasti are $3 off. The HH would end at 7pm but could be extended at the table thru 7.30 with no problem. Could also seat folk for dinner after.

Please reply here if there is enough interest as Dean would like some advance notice. Perhaps we could do an RSVP like before of who is attending (and a +1 if applicable)

Rocks, I hope this is ok, Dean contacted me and said he would be happy to host a mid week HH. And I thought since Leap Year falls on a Wed it would be a good excuse for a get together. Would love to see you all again!

Note: Revision 1:12 am ...just realized that the Duck Dinner at Dino is on the 29th so probably this is not going to fly (pardon the pun). Any suggestions for another mid-week date?

Edited by ctay122

Would like to suggest a celebration of Leap Year and a DR HH revisted celebration on Feb 29 with Dean Gold's blessing at Dino at Cleveland Park.

We would have the table in the grotto behind the bar as well as free space at the bar. Happy hour deals include $5.00 drinks, a $5 wine, $18 bottles etc. Antipasti are $3 off. The HH would end at 7pm but could be extended at the table thru 7.30 with no problem. Could also seat folk for dinner after.

Please reply here if there is enough interest as Dean would like some advance notice. Perhaps we could do an RSVP like before of who is attending (and a +1 if applicable)

Rocks, I hope this is ok, Dean contacted me and said he would be happy to host a mid week HH. And I thought since Leap Year falls on a Wed it would be a good excuse for a get together. Would love to see you all again!

Note: Revision 1:12 am ...just realized that the Duck Dinner at Dino is on the 29th so probably this is not going to fly (pardon the pun). Any suggestions for another mid-week date?

Should I make this its own thread?

We could. But no one else has suggested another time for mid week HH so perhaps there is not enough interest. Figured it was worth a try.

I think everyone is waiting for someone to propose date, time, and place, and then people will come flying out of the woodwork.