Ace of Spades Champagne - seriously?

Now, I know a little bit about Champagne but am by no means an expert. So when I read that the Miami Heat celebrated their championship with a 15L bottle of Ace of Spades Champagne that costs $75,000, I thought I had mis-read something.

Then I read that someone named Drake spent $40k in a club here in DC recently, and the tab included a bottle of Ace of Spades?

So I ask, what the hell is Ace of Spades? I have never heard of Champagne Armand de Brignac (but that doesn’t mean anything). It’s name certainly does not sound French and the bottle looks just awful.

Can this apparent NV bottling of Grand Cru Blanc de Blanc really be the most expensive tete de cuvee on the market? I won’t argue the merits of it’s pricing, but is the wine actually good?

I hate to be cynical, but this wine seems to me to have been “crafted” by a marketing company and someone is making a ton of money off it.

ETA- I can't seem to control my fonts.

Edited by SeanMike
fixing font issue

Buying the Ace of Spades has been a rite of passage for pro sports teams for the past few championship seasons. The first story I remember is Mark Cuban buying one for his team in Dallas, then the Boston Bruins bought one in Foxwoods after they won they Stanley Cup. A little Web search shows it is owned by the Cattier family, but was started in 2006 as a separate brand. I think it is a bit of genius marketing, every time someone with too much money buys one of these bottles reports pop up on the internet. You can get a normal-sized bottle for a mere $250, and I think I saw the metal bottles get some product placement in The Avengers and Prometheus

People who think very highly of themselves will never be able to resist purchasing products that are (cunningly? cynically?) priced precisely to re-enforce the notion that they are justified in thinking very highly of themselves. I think the kids these days have a word for it: flossin'

I did some quick internet research last night, and it wAZs fascinating. Apparently, at the precise time that an executive at Roederer complained about the presence of Cristal in the hip-hop market, the Cattier family stopped selling their Antique Gold Brut NV that came in a gold plated bottle ($50) and revived a long dead brand called Armand de Brignac, whose signature bottling came ina a gold plated bottle called Ace of Spades. ($250).

The first known appearance of said wine, press releases not withstanding, was in a Jay Z video, where he eschews Cristal in favor of Ace of Spades. And so it began.

Rumor has it that Jay Z has a stake in the marketing company that owns the brand, but it has not been proven. I could find no technical specifications for Ace of Spades anywhere on the internet.

For all intents and purposes, it looks to me like someone repackaged a non-descript Brut NV and marked it up 500%. Shit like this must make Terry Theise's head explode.

I did some quick internet research last night, and it wAZs fascinating. Apparently, at the precise time that an executive at Roederer complained about the presence of Cristal in the hip-hop market, the Cattier family stopped selling their Antique Gold Brut NV that came in a gold plated bottle ($50) and revived a long dead brand called Armand de Brignac, whose signature bottling came ina a gold plated bottle called Ace of Spades. ($250).

The first known appearance of said wine, press releases not withstanding, was in a Jay Z video, where he eschews Cristal in favor of Ace of Spades. And so it began.

Rumor has it that Jay Z has a stake in the marketing company that owns the brand, but it has not been proven. I could find no technical specifications for Ace of Spades anywhere on the internet.

For all intents and purposes, it looks to me like someone repackaged a non-descript Brut NV and marked it up 500%. Shit like this must make Terry Theise's head explode.

Isn't there a saying about fools and their money?

It is without a doubt the worst champagne I've tasted above say $75. It's all branding/image over substance. Don't believe me? Voila - http://www.complex.com/music/2011/03/jay-z-ace-of-spades Though to be fair, with most Grand Marques a nice portion of your scrilla is fed directly to the PR machine.

They have it at Proof for $450. :ph34r:

That's about $75 per Porsche'n. B)

(Of course they also offer Lahèrte, Gatinois, Geoffroy, Margaine, P.Paillard, Prevost, and Vazart-Coquart. :wub: )