Charcoal -- What type do you use/like?

mdt

I have been using the Cowboy Charcoal and Whole Foods brand, which happens to be from the same source, and have found it to contain too many small/tiny pieces to keep good heat going for a long time. I tried Wicked Good Charcoal last night and it was much better. Mostly large pieces in the bag and it burned (very) hot and very long.

I have looked at this charcoal review site which has some good info, but figured that folks here would have some good info.

If it makes a difference I have a CharGriller Smokin'Pro.

I use Kingsford, haha, but have been looking for a replacement too lately. All I hear is about lump charcoal and how much better it burns. Who really even knows what is in Kingsford. I don't think it burns hot enough for me, I would like to try something new, but I dont really want to spend much more than I do.

I saw this yesterday. It must be more expensive than I pay now. I wish I paid attention. $35 for 24 lbs. plus shipping.

I like the concept at least ! https://opensky.com/...charcoal-24-lbs

Edit: Same box with Prime shipping on Amazon is $54. Looks to be a good deal !

I've tried a number of different lump and briquette charcoals over the years for both my Weber Smoker and my Weber Grill. In my opinion, Kingsford is the best and most consistent. It doesn't give off as much heat as the lump, but I get around that by just stacking it so the fire is closer to the grill. Lump burns much too quickly for me, especially when it comes to a long cook or smoking.

I use Kingsford also, in my WSM-I'm long on charcoal right now, it's running $6.88 for a 16.6 lb bag, w/ a $2.00 off coupon, if you buy meat at the same time- how hard is that? I throw in 4-6 chunks of wood, & usually use about a bag, or a bag & 1/2, for a 12-16 hr cook. Since getting the smoker, I don't grill much or do shorter cooks, I'd rather load it up. If I wanted to do just ribs, though, I could extinguish the fire & reuse the leftover coals.

I just used Fresh Market's lump charcoal for the first time last night. I liked it a lot. I don't remember the price and I don't know who makes it for them. I will say that Cowboy used to be flooring remnants, which was fine but I thought the chunks were to small to maitain a long fire. The last bagI got of theirs, though, was completely different and consisted of about 15 monstrous pieces which I then had to beat the shit out of to be able to use. Hence the Fresh Market brand and not Cowboy.

If we're getting into a lump vs. briquette discussion, then that's a whole 'nother ball of wax :)

Agree that Kingsford is consistent and burns well for slow cooks. Also, its readily available. Have tried various brands and haven't been impressed for reasons mentioned above. Royal Oak was the best lump I've tried.

Lucked out into a massive bag of Frontier USA at BJ's earlier this summer. We've been delighted with the results, far superior to the other five or six brands we've tried. I cannot remember the price, but it was a bargain compared to the smaller bags of lump we had been selecting.

My understanding of Kingsford briquets, is that it is basically a petroleum by-product, mixed with sawdust and compressed. It burns steady and slow. Lump hardwood charcoal is chunks of wood, or scraps of hardwood lumber (usually molding) that have been turned into charcoal. It burns hotter and faster.

& if you combine the two, in a smoker, it produces an amazing result-a consistent, even temp w/ wood smoke accents to the meat. I know I constantly sing the praises of the Weber Smoky Mt. Smoker, but it's just SO easy to produce good food w/ little effort, I almost feel like it's cheating when people say the ribs or pork or turkey or whatever tastes great, because it's just a little prep & then just time....

& if you combine the two, in a smoker, it produces an amazing result-a consistent, even temp w/ wood smoke accents to the meat. I know I constantly sing the praises of the Weber Smoky Mt. Smoker, but it's just SO easy to produce good food w/ little effort, I almost feel like it's cheating when people say the ribs or pork or turkey or whatever tastes great, because it's just a little prep & then just time....

Love the WSM. Mine is old, weathered and the vents are locked in place (some open, some closed), but it still makes great barbecue.