Shenandoah Weekday Morning Hike - Breakfast or Lunch and Sandwiches

Rhone1998

I'm taking a mental health day on Wednesday after a long, stressful slog at work, going hiking in Shenandoah. Where would folks recommend I grab a good quality sandwich, or other lunch items, that I could pick up around town or on the way out there pretty early in the morning for a lunch on the trails?

I'm taking a mental health day on Wednesday after a long, stressful slog at work, going hiking in Shenandoah. Where would folks recommend I grab a good quality sandwich, or other lunch items, that I could pick up around town or on the way out there pretty early in the morning for a lunch on the trails?

Earl's Sandwiches in Ballston opens at 10:30.

The Italian Store on Spout Run opens at 10.

Bayou Bakery in Courthouse opens at 7.

Buzz Bakery in Rosslyn opens at 7.

Northside Social in Clarendon opens at 6.

There's really no need (or point) to going anywhere else other than perhaps the Falls Church or Fair Lakes Whole Foods.

If you're cutting east onto 50 at some point, Market Salamander in Middleburg opens at 8, but is closed Mon-Tue.

I suspect you'll end up at Northside Social - that's where I'd go.

After your hike, I recommend stopping at Glen Manor for a wine tasting. And if you have time, head back to Linden for a tasting there as well (no idea if either is open on Wed so please check first!).

If you decide to go to Glen Manor, you can come out of the park at the entrance b/w the North & Central sections, head West on 211 like you're going to Luray, then head north on 340 for a bit of a scenic drive until you get to the turn off to head toward the winery (bring directions because GPS fails out there). Or if you have less time, come out of the northern end of the park and just scoot around and down 340 a little ways. :)

Thanks for the all the advice, everyone. A Milano sandwich from the Italian Store hit the spot today.

VzbDtaS.jpg

Unfortunately, Bayou Bakery and Northside Social don't get their sandwiches out until closer to lunchtime, and I wanted to get out there early. But I did stop in Linden for those apple cinnamon donuts...great stuff!

• Like 1

Out that way I also highly recommend The Locke Store in Millwood. They are open 9am - 6pm Tu-Fri, and 9-5 Sat & Sun. Closed Mondays. They have a great deli with fresh-made sandwiches, soups, salads and desserts. It's mostly carryout but, if the weather's nice, you can eat at a table on their porch. They also sell wine and beer, cheese, crackers, etc. etc. We have put together a very nice picnic from their offerings that we took with us on a hike. Eating a great slice of pie on their porch is a very nice way to spend some time on a sunny afternoon, especially in the fall or spring.

• Like 1

Thanks for the all the advice, everyone. A Milano sandwich from the Italian Store hit the spot today.

Unfortunately, Bayou Bakery and Northside Social don't get their sandwiches out until closer to lunchtime, and I wanted to get out there early. But I did stop in Linden for those apple cinnamon donuts...great stuff!

I *love* this picture (*) - the gray, wooden and stone background is stunning against the foreground of the sandwich.

Look at the lone turkey vulture, soaring near the horizon, in the center. It's spectacular. And the near-hidden snow-lined road on the far right. So much to cherish in this moment.

(*) But only if you promise me you saved your paper until you found a recycling bin. :)

• Like 1