Bangkok Golden, Jack-Sao's Thai Mini-Chain in Fort Washington and University Mall in Fairfax

I had lunch here on Friday, w/ my son. Apparently, it's also Bangkok Golden, but not related to the one at 7 Corners, but a similarly named restaurant in Ft. Washington, MD. It's tucked away on the inside section of a currently 'under construction' strip mall, right across from George Mason.

It's small, quite attractive (wood paneled walls, Thai art, windows) & while it was empty when we arrived right before noon, it quickly filled up. We had lunch specials of gai pad kra prow (spicy, all chicken w/ peppers & basil but no other veg) & pepper steak (lots of onions, peppers, tomatoes & beef), they both came w/ rice & Tom yum soup. We also shared an order of larb gai, that was less spicy than I like (more sour & fish-saucy, rather than heat). Service was good, I'm sure we'll return.

• Like 2

Finally visited this restaurant today for lunch with my husband. It is the same ownership as Bangkok Golden in Fort Washington, where we had enjoyed a lovely lunch several weeks ago. The food here is just as fresh and flavorful as it is at the "sister" restaurant.

A small bowl of Tom Yum Gai comes with every lunch order. I liked it enough to want to order a large bowl sometime in the future--even after I accidentally bit down on the slice of jalapeno floating in the bowl.

My husband's red curry with chicken ($6.95) was rich and flavorful, although it was a little hot for me (I am a Scoville wimp, after all). He thoroughly enjoyed it, and compared it favorable to his favorite/benchmark of Bangkok 54.

I had Pad King Sod ($6.95), pork with fresh ginger, onion, scallion, and Chinese mushrooms. It also had some sliced peppers (sweet) and snow peas. I loved it!

Their fresh lemonade was very tasty, as well.

I'll be heading there for eat in or carry out a few times while my husband is vacationing in Thailand later this week and next week.

I'm so glad to finally find a Thai restaurant that I like so close to home!

Apparently, it's also Bangkok Golden, but not related to the one at 7 Corners, but a similarly named restaurant in Ft. Washington, MD.

I wasn't quite sure what you meant by this, but then I went to their website - apparently, the company is called Bangkok Golden, but the Fairfax restaurant is "T/A (Trading As)" Tong Thai.  I've always been curious about where the Fairfax "Bangkok Golden" was, and now I know.

i went in there and asked if they are related to the fabulous Bangkok Golden Seven Corners and they said "kind of". I've never eaten here in 10 years, so I guess I know where I'll get dinner Friday night.

I don't really think they are related, except maybe indirectly - there are two distinct websites, this one and that one. My impression is that Seven Corners is newer, and there was perhaps a split-off awhile back.

If you do go, please report in - Matt's mom lives near there and it would be wonderful if there was somewhere other than Brion's in that shopping center. No, I mean "¦ really, really wonderful.

I've eaten here and gotten carry out several times now. I really enjoy their food. The complimentary cup of Tom Yum Gai with lunch is always delicious. I've enjoyed the Massamun curry and the Pad King Sod. My husband loves their curries. I tried their Crispy Pork with Chinese broccoli last night. It was good, but not quite as good as the crispy pork belly dishes at Bangkok 54 (sorry Don, but I do love that place).

Their menus all say Bangkok Garden, although the sign out front says Tong Thai. Either way, it's nice to have them in the neighborhood.

I don't really think they are related, except maybe indirectly - there are two distinct websites, this one and that one. My impression is that Seven Corners is newer, and there was perhaps a split-off awhile back.

If you do go, please report in - Matt's mom lives near there and it would be wonderful if there was somewhere other than Brion's in that shopping center. No, I mean "¦ really, really wonderful.

I've changed the name of this thread from "Tong Thai" to "Bangkok Golden," despite the possibilities of conflating these two restaurants (which are in Fort Washington, MD and in University Mall, near George Mason University, in Fairfax) with the Seven Corners Bangkok Golden (and its sister restaurant in DC, Thip Khao).

As with Bombay Bistro (in Rockville and Fairfax), we're left with the unfortunate situation of an apparent ownership split, where both new owners kept the old name. That's the way it is, and the old slogan, "Knowledge is power," comes in handy here.

This little mini-chain is in the Multiple Locations Dining Guide, whereas the Laotian restaurant everyone talks about is in the Virginia Dining Guide. If you ever run across the name "Tong Thai" in Fairfax, it's the exact same restaurant as "Bangkok Golden" in Fairfax.

Their About Us section of their website, bangkokgolden.com, should help keep things clear; the Thai-Laotian restaurant in Seven Corners used to have the website bangkokgolden7corners.com, but that now redirects to ChefSeng.com.