Mustard

Joe H

I have handcarried a case of sweet Munich mustard (Handlemaier's) on an airplane along with a case of Develey medium serf.  Should I mention the Carnegie Deli's mustard?  Or Schwartz's in Montreal?  Or a half hundred others I have tried over the years?

Today, as part of a larger "care package" from Louisiana I had a jar of mustard included because it looked interesting.  It's from Cochon which won a Beard award in the French Quarter:  http://abita.com/shop/15/cookbook/cochon-whole-grain-mustard  Whole grain mustard flavored with Abita beer.  I slurped half of the jar with three or four slices of roast beef.  It's a small jar...but at one point I starting dipping potato chips.  After the roast beef and potato chips I picked up a spoon.

The jar is empty.

Best mustard I have ever had in my life.  I just ordered another 12 bottles.  Hopefully they'll last a week or two.

I have handcarried a case of sweet Munich mustard (Handlemaier's) on an airplane along with a case of Develey medium serf.  Should I mention the Carnegie Deli's mustard?  Or Schwartz's in Montreal?  Or a half hundred others I have tried over the years?

Today, as part of a larger "care package" from Louisiana I had a jar of mustard included because it looked interesting.  It's from Cochon which won a Beard award in the French Quarter:  http://abita.com/shop/15/cookbook/cochon-whole-grain-mustard  Whole grain mustard flavored with Abita beer.  I slurped half of the jar with three or four slices of roast beef.  It's a small jar...but at one point I starting dipping potato chips.  After the roast beef and potato chips I picked up a spoon.

The jar is empty.

Best mustard I have ever had in my life.  I just ordered another 12 bottles.  Hopefully they'll last a week or two.

Wow. Big statement.  Just so I can benchmark this a bit, would Moutarde De Meaux even make your top 20 list?

I don't think I've had that but I passionately love German mustard. Bavarian sweet mustard is entirely different from what we call the Dusseldorf style. Handlemaier's is a sweet, grainy dark mustard which is very difficult to find in the U. S.  The Cochon Abita mustard is kind of like this but with the addition of a mild beer flavor.  I really can't think of any mustard that I've found in the D. C. area that is even remotely like it although both the Heidelberg Pastry Shoppe and the German Gourmet in Falls Church occasionally sell it.  Lowenserf is one of the most popular brands for Dusseldorf style which they both carry.

Carol is addicted to Handlemaier's.  This is an outstanding U. S. source for German products:  http://www.germandeli.com/Hndelmeiers-ser-Hausmachersenf.html  Handlemaier's is listed in this.  I should mention that she literally goes through a tube or bottle a  month of it.

She hasn't had the Cochon Abita mustard yet.  I couldn't stop when I opened the bottle.  I ate it all.

Rodman's is a good local source of German mustard. They always used to have four or five brands, but the last time I looked their selection had shrunk. I don't believe I ever saw Händlmeier's there, but have certainly seen Hengstenberg, Löwensenf, Thomy, and I think also Kí¼hne. They always have some brand of sweet "Weisswurst" mustard. Of course there's also Amazon.

And now that I think of it, there's the Bavaria Sausage company, where you can also order Weisswurst to go with the sweet mustard. An excellent mail-order source of German and German-style foods. They have Händlmeier's sweet Bavarian mustard in 5Kg pails!

I was at the German Gourmet Deli in Bailey's Crossroads about a week ago. I think I remember seeing the Abita mustard on the shelf there, but don't hold me to it. It might be worth a call, though. What they do have, because I bought some, is Usinger's smoked liverwurst, which is flat out delicious and hard to find. It's very good with whole grain mustard.

What they do have, because I bought some, is Usinger's smoked liverwurst, which is flat out delicious and hard to find. It's very good with whole grain mustard.

Usinger's of Milwaukee is another producer of wonderful German-style sausages. Many supermarkets in the area used to carry their bratwurst, but I haven't seen that in a long time. They, too, have an online store, though it's not a source for German mustard.

I was at the German Gourmet Deli in Bailey's Crossroads about a week ago. I think I remember seeing the Abita mustard on the shelf there, but don't hold me to it. It might be worth a call, though. What they do have, because I bought some, is Usinger's smoked liverwurst, which is flat out delicious and hard to find. It's very good with whole grain mustard.

We stopped by the German Gourmet Deli this afternoon and picked up 3 or 4 mustards alas no Abita there. The place was fully packed the entire time of our visit and deli counter was working pretty hard. We filled up with some meats, mustards and chocolates for Thanksgiving and Christmas gifts. My wife was impressed but the number of chocolates on the shelves which says a lot.

Thanks for mentioning the place ZoraMargolis, it was our first time there and worth the trip.

• Like 1

Dinner prep today for my partner's parents:

Pork loin brined with apple cider, chicken stock, garlic and thyme. Going to grill it if the rain hold off.

Roasted sweet potatoes topped with crumbled bacon, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice and cayenne

Sauteed cabbage

Salad of apples, celery, dried cranberries and bleu cheese in a simple viniagrette

Mom-in-law bringing a pie.

Dinner prep today for my partner's parents:

Pork loin brined with apple cider, chicken stock, garlic and thyme. Going to grill it if the rain hold off.

Roasted sweet potatoes topped with crumbled bacon, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice and cayenne

Sauteed cabbage

Salad of apples, celery, dried cranberries and bleu cheese in a simple viniagrette

Mom-in-law bringing a pie.

I think you forgot the mustard.   B) 

• Like 1

I can never find spicy enough Dijon (except for when I bring it back from France, but it runs out quickly).  I have found that the best dijon easily available seems to be trader joe's.  Seriously.  My French friends who live here now say it is the only one they will buy.

I can never find spicy enough Dijon (except for when I bring it back from France, but it runs out quickly).  I have found that the best dijon easily available seems to be trader joe's.  Seriously.  My French friends who live here now say it is the only one they will buy.

It's the only one I will buy. Used to be, you could get all kinds of Dijon mustard that was good and strong, and about ten or twelve years ago it just went all to shit. I used to buy Maille mustard, widely available, and it was wonderful and very strong, and then it got so that I'd buy a jar, taste it, and throw it away. Then I started seeing Maille "extra hot" mustard in the shops, and I'd buy that, and it would be not merely not extra hot, but utterly lacking any piquancy whatsoever, almost as if they were mocking me.

Trader Joe's Dijon mustard is usually very good, and quite strong. The batch with a pull-date in July 2014, which was all I could find at the West End store for several months, was an exception, though, tired and insipid. I bought a jar a couple of days ago with a pull-date in September 2014, and it's nice and hot. ("Nice and hot" and similar formulations are among the rare occurrences in English of the rhetorical figure known as hendiadys. I just thought I'd point that out.)

• Like 1

It's the only one I will buy. Used to be, you could get all kinds of Dijon mustard that was good and strong, and about ten or twelve years ago it just went all to shit. I used to buy Maille mustard, widely available, and it was wonderful and very strong, and then it got so that I'd buy a jar, taste it, and throw it away. Then I started seeing Maille "extra hot" mustard in the shops, and I'd buy that, and it would be not merely not extra hot, but utterly lacking any piquancy whatsoever, almost as if they were mocking me.

Trader Joe's Dijon mustard is usually very good, and quite strong. The batch with a pull-date in July 2014, which was all I could find at the West End store for several months, was an exception, though, tired and insipid. I bought a jar a couple of days ago with a pull-date in September 2014, and it's nice and hot. ("Nice and hot" and similar formulations are among the rare occurrences in English of the rhetorical figure known as hendiadys. I just thought I'd point that out.)

I like TJs too and stopped buying Maille a few years ago when I read the label and found they are adding preservatives.  Mustard is a preservative itself, then vinegar and salt on top of that, it seemed unneccesary.

Speaking of mustard.  My Amish Nanny's son, Jeremy, is making a Spicy Maple mustard that is really good which he sells in Garrett County.  There is a regular mustard that is more like a honey mustard (made with maple) and it is fine, but the spicy one is where it is at.