dr.com Farewell Dinners at Dino, 7p Wed 12/4 (Full) and Mon 12/9

DanielK

Oops, didn't mean to stir up trouble... :ph34r:

I feel very badly that the first group had such a drastically different experience, to the point that I expressed a hesitancy at the end of the dinner to post about our meal because I didn't want to rub it in so to speak. I'm also grateful to those that spoke up because I believe I probably benefited from it. My post wasn't about defending a sacred cow so much as it was defending Dean, who I believe would never intentionally have dropped the ball on a DR dinner. I felt that JoeH's implications that the dinner wasn't an important event for him and that he doesn't appreciate DR members was way off base and I couldn't see how the comments were productive when Dean had already apologized and offered to make it up to them.

Escoffier and Rover2000 really did a much better job of saying what I was trying to say, perhaps in part because I was trying to be brief since I was typing on my phone, but more likely just because they are more eloquent than I am. :P But I do apologize if my comments offended anyone.

I am the only one who attended both dinners.  I disagree that the food at the first dinner sucked.  There were things I liked and things I did not like at the first dinner.  I liked almost everything but not entirely everything at the second (did not like the wild boar pasta but my son loved it, and also ate mine) (did like the wild boar pate, and everything else) (I have decided I really don't like gluten free pasta, it's not close enough to real pasta to bother with, IMO).

The comments on the first dinner remind me of a Woody Allen joke, "the food was terrible, and such small portions!".  Everything at my table was eaten except for some butternut squash which I should have rescued before it was taken away.   Ken's girlfriend ate all the second serving of pork and smiled and nodded as she ate it.

If nobody else liked the food, how come it all got eaten, and people asked for more (a second serving of pork)?

If nobody else liked the food, how come it all got eaten, and people asked for more (a second serving of pork)?

We didn't ask for more - we asked for firsts. At my table (the middle table), there were less portions of pork and fish than there were people at the table. So by the time the dish got passed around, the last couple of people didn't have anything.

Do you folks all come from Brooklyn?  Seems like a "just like home" thread to me  :rolleyes: .  At any rate, I'm sorry I couldn't make the trip to D.C. to eat at either of these and will miss the current location for the trips I do make.  Now I gotta go look at a map and see what goddamn hotels are near the new place.  Best wishes Dean"¦. does the "free food" invite extend to those of us who were not at the 1st dinner but wanted to be? (now that's Brooklyn chutzpa).

• Like 3