21st Birthday Ideas

catincal

I'm looking for ideas of a restaurant to take two of my best friends for their 21st and 22nd birthdays. I have plenty of ideas for places with great food, but I'd love ideas of places that have great food and something more... great atmosphere and fun. Neither of them drink (really) so it's not really worth going to somewhere that has the "creative drinks" option. Any suggestions?

I celebrated my 21st birthday at Marcel's. I guess I'm an old soul; it kicked ass though and raised the bar for the rest of my eating and drinking years (of course, the kicker is that those years are numbered because my pie hole has been overindulged at a young age). Not sure what your budget is, but my pop paid for dinner that night.

For fun, maybe somewhere like Cafe Atlantico? They have really yummy jugo freco (fresh juice-however you say en espanol).

I celebrated my 21st birthday hiding from members of my fraternity who wanted to dump me into Lake Michigan. Ahh, the good old days.

Personally, I think there is an inverse relationship between size of plates and festive, celebratory atmosphere. Small plates = Big festiveness. Any Jose Andres place would work well, based on that formula.

At least you did not ask for somewhere "really like totally hip".

What kind of food are you looking for? What type of atmosphere? What part of the area?

I am with Meaghan about Marcel's, but that only works if you like something more formal.

Small plates = Big festiveness.  Any Jose Andres place would work well, based on that formula.

I agree - I have a reservation at Cafe Atlantico coming up soon (Minibar was booked...) but Jaleo could definitely fit the bill.

What kind of food are you looking for?  What type of atmosphere?  What part of the area? 

I am with Meaghan about Marcel's, but that only works if you like something more formal.

Any kind of food, we're all very adventurous. Young, energetic atmosphere, pretty much in the district itself or in close suburbs. Does that help?

I've never been to Marcel's - I think the food would be great, but I don't know if the atmostphere is upbeat enough.

Atlantico, Rasika & Zaytinya were my top three recommendations, so I second (and third) those excellent suggestions. All good recommendations and younger atmoshperes).

Zaytinya wont take a reservation though, so your non-drinking friends would have to be able to stand waiting in the bar area for a bit before being seated.

Zaytinya wont take a reservation though, so your non-drinking friends would have to be able to stand waiting in the bar area for a bit before being seated.

I've not been to Zaytinya, but Mr. S couldn't stop talking about it after he took a young coworker there for dinner one night. He can't wait to take me there. It sounds like the sort of place you're looking for.

They do take reservations, and they are on Open Table. I made Mr. S's reservation through OT.

I've not been to Zaytinya, but Mr. S couldn't stop talking about it after he took a young coworker there for dinner one night.  He can't wait to take me there.  It sounds like the sort of place you're looking for.

They do take reservations, and they are on Open Table.  I made Mr. S's reservation through OT.

My mistake: they take reservations prior to 6:30.

I guess my first post caused some consternation with some of the regulars. I treaded where no one should, ouch….I have received an email or two about the post. So some background,

1) I am not in the industry in anyway, and that includes Media or PR.

2) I have been reading DR for a long time, so I am only a new poster.

If there are any other question please doesn’t post them please continue to email me. I like a good inquisition.

An educated consumer is our most important client. Welcome aboard. And some of us are a little bit sensitive about Cakelove (thus speaketh one who took one for the team, along with a couple of others).

As soon as I saw the title, I thought of Zaytinya. I see several have already beaten me to it! Mrs mhberk and I have a friend that's around that age and when she comes home from college, she DEMANDS that we take her there.

I would also recommend Zaytinya for dinner and then walk up a block (towards the Verizon Center (is that what it's called now?)) and hit IndieBleu for dessert. It makes for a great 1 - 2 combination!

I think I'm sold on Zaytinya. I know there was a little discussion of this earlier, but I'm still unclear on their reservation policy... the website says that reservations are "limited to dinner between 5 and 6:30 for pre-theater patrons." So, any other time, is it just walk in? How long should I expect to wait on a Friday night? (You'd think that Open Table would have a note about this policy instead of just telling you that you can't make a reservation at this time...) I made a reservation at Cafe Atlantico because I'm not a huge fan of the "wait" aspect, but after looking over the Zaytinya menu, I was swayed. Tzatziki, goat cheese in grape leaves, and seared sesame salmon with pomegranate vinegarette? I think this restaurant was made for me...