Best Steak Restaurant for Father's Day

LaShanta

I was really joking about the $10. I think you should bring whatever you like. I have found a lot of great wines at the $10 price point. I doubt the restaurant would mind...why would they? I foud a bottle of wine on the Charlie Palmer list at a local store for about $19, and they were charging $50. I am sure they spent less than $19 the bottle. So if a customer brings a $10 bottle plus the mark up, you are now drinking a $40 bottle or more depending on the place. What's the big deal!

this is really getting a bit out of the original context. This is about Steakhouses and Fathers Day.

I agree. Charlie Palmer's is a great place to go, good steak, great view, wonderful wine list, good service.

As to why they have the $0 corkage for American wine, it goes back to when everyone was mad at France about Iraq. They did it as a gimick and it stuck. BTW, it is only for the first two bottles.

Other good choices would be the Caucaus Room (although I've heard that the steak is not as good as it used to be) for their bone in ribeye, the Prime Rib, or if you can deal with a chain, Ruth's Chris.

I foud a bottle of wine on the Charlie Palmer list at a local store for about $19, and they were charging $50. I am sure they spent less than $19 the bottle.
Where do you get this from? How can you be sure that the restaurant paid less for the wine wholesale than you were able to find it retail. I recall John Wabeck complaining recently that Costco was selling a wine at retail for less than what he could get the same wine for wholesale. Your certainty is nothing more than an assumption.

Where do you get this from? How can you be sure that the restaurant paid less for the wine wholesale than you were able to find it retail. I recall John Wabeck complaining recently that Costco was selling a wine at retail for less than what he could get the same wine for wholesale. Your certainty is nothing more than an assumption.

Well, you can't find this wine at costco. I checked

I was really joking about the $10. I think you should bring whatever you like. I have found a lot of great wines at the $10 price point. I doubt the restaurant would mind...why would they? I foud a bottle of wine on the Charlie Palmer list at a local store for about $19, and they were charging $50. I am sure they spent less than $19 the bottle. So if a customer brings a $10 bottle plus the mark up, you are now drinking a $40 bottle or more depending on the place. What's the big deal!

It's bad enough that I don't know very much about wine. I don't want to look EXTRA gauche by insulting the sommelier by bringing in something embarrassing. I have no idea what I would like in red wine. I think I'll just go to Schneider's, tell them what types of wines I normally like, give them a price range and have them recommend something.

Do I need to print out the CP wine list and take it to the store so that I can be sure not to order something that they have on their list?

I thought I saw a BYOB list of rules somewhere. I can't seem to find it now. Can someone point me in the right direction? I do not want to be laughed out of the place on Sunday. :unsure:

It's bad enough that I don't know very much about wine. I don't want to look EXTRA gauche by insulting the sommelier by bringing in something embarrassing. I have no idea what I would like in red wine. I think I'll just go to Schneider's, tell them what types of wines I normally like, give them a price range and have them recommend something.

I think what you state here is most important. I've never been to CP, but others have stated here they have a top notch wine list and top notch sommelier. If you don't really know what you would like then I think the answer is to not bring your own wine. If you know what you'd want to go with the food, then consider going to Schneider's to get it and bring it. But since you don't, the sommelier will be able to steer you to a wine that's within your budget AND your taste AND your desires AND matches specifically to a dish on the menu that the staff is very familiar with.

I think what you state here is most important. I've never been to CP, but others have stated here they have a top notch wine list and top notch sommelier. If you don't really know what you would like then I think the answer is to not bring your own wine. If you know what you'd want to go with the food, then consider going to Schneider's to get it and bring it. But since you don't, the sommelier will be able to steer you to a wine that's within your budget AND your taste AND your desires AND matches specifically to a dish on the menu that the staff is very familiar with.
Sage (or oregano) advice.

Do I need to print out the CP wine list and take it to the store so that I can be sure not to order something that they have on their list?

I thought I saw a BYOB list of rules somewhere. I can't seem to find it now. Can someone point me in the right direction? I do not want to be laughed out of the place on Sunday. :unsure:

You are the customer. Why would you be concerned with insulting the sommelier with you wine choice? Buy what you like and relax and enjoy. There are too many rules these days for customers to follow. I would like the staff at Charlie Palmer and other places to stop asking me if I want flat or sparkling water, which I think is insulting.....but do they care?

I'm no expert, but my own experience with BYOBs is that you first scrape the price tag off the wine you just bought. ;) Then, when you arrive at the table, you take it out, put it on the table, and tell the server that you have brought wine with you. They usually ask a question or two, like whether you want it opened right away, or whether you need it chilled. Somebody comes by to open it for you (not sure the protocol if it's a screw top) and then usually it's up to you to pour it yourself, although I've been to byob's where the staff do that too. Honestly, I don't think they give a fig what wine it is that you bring, so long as it's American and not "that other kind." Will somebody else please help LaShanta out with this if I've missed something important? :P

If you are going to a restaurant that doesn't charge corkage yet has an excellent wine list and trusted sommelier AND you do not know a great deal about wine then I would most definitely ask to speak to the sommelier, give her a price range and, perhaps, a style (or type of taste) of wine you like and let her make the decision for you. You may spend $10 or $20 more than Schneider's (which is not necessarily cheap to begin with) but it will be easier, smoother and, I think, fair to the restaurant. I would also tip her well.

By the way, it's been my experience that the percentage of people who bring their own wine is very small and, usually, those who do bring special (read expensive or rare) bottles. If a restaurant has more than a 100% markup then it may be different but with a fairly priced wine list and a knowledgeable, experienced sommelier I would never consider bringing my own wine. Yes, I sometimes do bring my own wine. But it is always a special bottle, not just to save some money. (Well, yes, but it may have cost me $50 and they may want, say, $200 which I'm not going to spend!) I would think they would have a very good range of reds in the $30 to $50 range. Note that all of this is from someone who buys a lot of wine off of the internet: me. Still, I confess to feeling somewhat inhibited bringing my own wine especially knowing that the restaurant needs a reasonable margin on their own wine to help fund their operation.

Enjoy the dinner and trust their sommelier.

Edited by Joe H

If you are going to a restaurant that doesn't charge corkage yet has an excellent wine list and trusted sommelier AND you do not know a great deal about wine then I would most definitely ask to speak to the sommelier, give her a price range and, perhaps, a style (or type of taste) of wine you like and let her make the decision for you. You may spend $10 or $20 more than Schneider's (which is not necessarily cheap to begin with) but it will be easier, smoother and, I think, fair to the restaurant. I would also tip her well.

Enjoy the dinner and trust their sommelier.

That sounds like a good deal. It will definitely be easier.....

You guys are sooooo helpful!!!! How did I ever eat without you??? :unsure:

So upon the recommendation of many Rockwellians, I decided to do Charlie Palmer for my Father’s Day dinner for my Dad yesterday. He absolutely LOVED it!!!!!

I decided to go with Jacques Gastreaux's suggestion of just trusting them with the wine choices and not going the BYOB route. The sommelier Nadine was sooo amazing and she made me feel totally at ease when choosing a wine that both me and my Dad would like. She gave us a red wine blend from Washington state. It was perfect! It went great with both my Dad’s steak and my fish.

The service was unparalleled!!! Even the hostess gave us a fantastic table in the glass-enclosed area. We had windows on TWO sides of us. And I did note that our server specifically mentioned that side items were served a la carte and were family sized for sharing. Everyone was totally attentive and unassuming. They left our wine on the table but our glasses never got completely empty before someone came to fill them. And napkins were re-folded within a minute of a person leaving the table. Even the busboys were gracious and attentive and helpful. Absolutely stupendous!!!! CP is definitely training its people right!

My Dad ordered the filet mignon and I ordered the red snapper with a citrus butter sauce. We also got the delicious truffled baked potatoes and the mushrooms. The snapper was wonderfully crispy on one side and mouth-wateringly tender and flaky on the other side. It was divine!!! And then for dessert I got the pineapple upside down cake. This was a really fun dessert!! It was a slice of the cake, a scoop of pineapple sorbet, a lime panna cotta and a banana wrapped in some noodle-looking pastry. It was fabulous!!!!! It was not too heavy nor too sweet. It was the perfect evening to a perfect meal.

And all of this for only $136 (not including tip). I was pleasantly surprised at the total bill.

I have absolutely NO complaints!! Not one. And for foodies, you know that says a LOT. I am soooo glad that you all helped me choose such a special restaurant for such a special occasion!! I HIGHLY recommend it!!!

Peace & Many Blessings,

LaShanta