Tea

Back from Beijing with Tie Guan Yin, jasmine pearl green tea, another oolong whose name I've momentarily forgotten (I think the students told me it was the favorite of an Empress?), chrysanthemum, goji, and a box of flowering teas that was a gift. I also picked up a glass gongfu teapot that has a little release mechanism to let the tea flow out of the leaves when the steeping is finished, then you fill it again when you are ready for the next brew.

I was completely overwhelmed by the Wuyutai tea shops. There are large cans of teas on shelves labeled with names and prices, and you have to know what you want before you get there. I was told there are places to go where you can try teas, but we ran out of time. I took the advice of my hosts as to what I should buy and also bought a couple of things I enjoyed while there.

I'm an inveterate iced tea drinker-I use 3bags of Luzianne decaf green tea, w/ a ball of lapsang souchong to make a gallon, every couple of days...

My husband makes great iced tea. He normally gets some sort of flavored loose leaf white tea from Wegman's in Fairfax, which has an ok selection. My favorite is the peach, and then he will add in fresh lemongrass from my garden, or lavender. He really makes good tea. But he gets some really interesting stuff when he goes to San Francisco for me.

Capital Teas has been expanding in the MD-DC-VA area, and I've now been to the Barracks Row outpost a few times.  (They are also apparently opening a store in Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia, next month.)  Several of the locations, including Barracks Row, have "tea bars" in addition to the retail boutiques.

Given that the tea is rather pricey, being able to pay for a single cup to sample a flavor is a good investment.  So far I have tried the turmeric ginger organic tea, the roasted almond, and the yoga tea, all non-caffeinated.  You can get any tea hot or iced.  I tried the turmeric tea iced.  Oddly, it had very little flavor at the outset, almost as though it had been over diluted, but it got more and more potent as the ice melted.  (Weird.)  By the end of the cup, the gingery kick was really strong.  The roasted almond tea is apparently their most popular, and I loved it enough to buy some to take home.  It smells heavenly and is a beautiful red color.

The Barracks Row location is at 731 8th Street, SE, near the southern end of Barracks Row.  They have tea urns outside with mini sample cups.  it's pleasant to relax inside with a cup of freshly steeped tea.  It does take a bit of time to get your cup prepared, but each cup or pitcher/pot is made individually.  The iced teas take longer than the hot, and the hot teas are very, very hot. (Very.)

This is in the location that used to have a knitting shop.  They have seating in both the courtyard and the back room.  There are some food items, mostly mini sweets made by Carla Hall.

I second Capital Teas for being worth a visit. My wife is really into tea and so I went earlier this summer to their Dupont store to buy her some as a gift. While they did have 2 brews for tasting, unfortunately it is only retail at this location. That being said, I got a tea education from their very helpful salesman who took lots of time to explain to me about the various teas and point me to some blends based on my comments on what my wife likes. In the store they have tons of jars of tea so you can see, smell, and read a bit about the many options. I ended up getting 3 tins of loose tea:  Cherry Blossom, Caramel Toffee, and Talk of the Town blends - which have had rave reviews from everyone whose tried them.  These are very high quality teas but like Pat said more expensive. 

I have been buying loose teas from Baltimore Coffee and Tea for ~15 years after I discovered they carry a Hazelnut tea in loose form. They both import a wide range of teas and also have a house brand (or maybe two, as I think they also produce a separate line as Eastern Shore Tea). I've only dropped by the roasting plant in Timonium to pick up tea leaves (usually I mail order, but I also lived out of state for 12 of those 15 years), although they now have several locations (Frederick, Annapolis, Odenton), they do serve brewed tea but I am not sure how many kinds are available. The house brands include both flavored teas and straight black/white/green/herbal teas - my longstanding favorites are the Hazelnut black tea from Baltimore Fine Teas, and the Eastern Shore Gunner's tea (black tea with spices and autumn fruit flavors).  They have a lot of fruit flavors, but I am usually not a big fan.

Also fun: homemade tea-infused liqueurs. The tea infuses into the alcohol in an hour or two, add a little sugar syrup and you are done. Lapsang souchong has given the most interesting flavor so far, with a hint of smokiness. Chai turned out completely vile, btw, the spices and tea did not infuse at the same rate....

And a short rant: restaurants that charge as much for tea as a good quality coffee, but bring you a lukewarm tin of water and a tea bag. This is like serving someone a mug of hot tap water with a side dish of Folgers instant crystals when they ordered coffee at $3.50 a cup. The ones that bring out a wooden box full of uninspiring tea bags (mostly herbal) as if the fancy presentation makes up for the low quality especially annoy me. I expect that at a diner or similar I will get stuck with a mug of lipton, but at the higher price point they need to at least brew it correctly even if the tea isn't high quality.

• Like 3

Lperry--think you got tricked by fancy design--those look like ancient characters but...well, they are pretty! :-)

Nelumbo--there are full leave tea bags nowadays that made me feel like the article was a bit put-down feeling. Why can't teabaggers and whole leaf folks get along? I was rather sad.

I really thought I read somewhere someone was looking for a good glass teapot? I guess this is a part of getting old. Anyhoo--here is the link: http://mightynest.com/shop/kitchen-table/coffee-tea/glass-tea-pot-with-glass-filter

Not old.  It was me, but in another thread - maybe equipment 911.  I found one at Super H in Fairfax, but thanks for the link. :)

• Like 1