Olive-Oil Gelato

JLK

Call Capogiro in Philadelphia. Balducci's carries some Capogiro flavors, if you're willing to take a look in their freezer cases. But your best bet is to give Capogiro a ring directly and see if they can send you some. The DolceZZa people may be able to give you a lead as well.

If you're ever in New York City, try the olive oil gelato at Otto -- it's fantastic.

You could make your own :)

Seriously, I would love to know of a local source to get me some olive oil gelato if anyone knows.

Mm Capogiro... makes me drool thinking about it. When they first launched it at Balducci's they sent out $2 off coupons. At $9/pint it's not an everyday indulgence. Some of the Vosges stuff is good and not as expensive. Limited selection though.

That's the inspiration. I don't want to make it myself (my time at home is so limited these days due to work travel, all I want to do is sleep when I'm there!!), but I'd gladly buy it for home or eat it at Zaytinya. :)

If you're ever in New York City, try the olive oil gelato at Otto -- it's fantastic.

We spun up a couple of batches of Olive Oil gelato after a trip to Otto in NYC. It is such a surprising flavor, very subtle, very smooth. We used a greek olive oil, which added a slight fruity taste. We will probably be spinning up batches come fall or winter, as we are neck deep in the local fruits and loving every minute of it. White Peaches, Yellow Peaches, Formosa Plums, Blackberries, Blueberries, Raspberries, Yellow Watermelon, Red Watermelon, Nectarines, Cantaloupe, and on & on & on. Give us a call anytime and check on the flavors and eventually we will get around to a batch of Olive Oil. I also try and post the new arrivals on my blog, so you can check there - gelato-ology.blogspot.com

We spun up a couple of batches of Olive Oil gelato after a trip to Otto in NYC. It is such a surprising flavor, very subtle, very smooth. We used a greek olive oil, which added a slight fruity taste. We will probably be spinning up batches come fall or winter, as we are neck deep in the local fruits and loving every minute of it. White Peaches, Yellow Peaches, Formosa Plums, Blackberries, Blueberries, Raspberries, Yellow Watermelon, Red Watermelon, Nectarines, Cantaloupe, and on & on & on. Give us a call anytime and check on the flavors and eventually we will get around to a batch of Olive Oil. I also try and post the new arrivals on my blog, so you can check there - gelato-ology.blogspot.com

Argentina!

Gelato!

Two of my favorite things!

Welcome!

You could drive 300 miles down south to Durham and go to Locopops for an olive oil cream popsicle (paleta de crema) ... so wonderfully delicious. The olive oil flavor turned almost buttery with the rich cream. But sorry, I realize that doesn't exactly help.

We will be spinning 1 small batch of Olive Oil gelato this weekend. I promise to put it out on Friday, so if you want to give it a run, come by and check it out. It is a nice smooth, very subtle at the end, Olive Oil flavor. It will surprise you! We will also be spinning Black Mission Fig, which is breath-taking...ok, maybe I exagerrated...nope, I didn't. Check it out - http://www.gelato-ology.blogspot.com/ - see ya.

You could make your own :)

Seriously, I would love to know of a local source to get me some olive oil gelato if anyone knows.

Mm Capogiro... makes me drool thinking about it. When they first launched it at Balducci's they sent out $2 off coupons. At $9/pint it's not an everyday indulgence. Some of the Vosges stuff is good and not as expensive. Limited selection though.

We made this over the weekend. Quite good. Be clear on the fact that the oil has be added slowly, as though you were making a mayonaise, or it will break. Lovely texture.

We used McEvoy Olive Oil that I got from the kind ladies over at Cowgirl Creamery. It is explained as an olive oil in the Tuscan style with a rich, slightly peppery flavor. I spun up a small batch for them to check out and just returned from a tasting. It is really nice and smooth with an almost grassy subtle Olive Oil flavor up front and in the middle, which then fades away into a nice vanilla sweetness, although we didn't put any vanilla in the mix. I am going to ramp down the sugar a little bit and try it again. I will be putting this in our shop beginning on Friday. We only made one small batch, so it probably won't be around for long.