Kitchen Disasters, Goofs And Flubs

zoramargolis

Last night I was checking the temperature of a loaf of bread I was baking using an instant read thermometer. The bread still had a few more degrees to go, but Mythbusters was on and I was engrossed; so I absentmindedly left the thermometer IN and shut the oven door.

Did you know that plastic melts at high temperatures?

Poor thing. Face is now frozen forever in a hideous, melty death mask.

Thermometers just don't have good luck in my kitchen, whether it's melted instant reads or the time I dropped my battery-powered probe thermometer into a pot of chicken stock...

So a few weeks ago I decided to make a trifle at the last minute for a party I was having that day. Nevermind that none of my friends probably even know what trifle is or that the night before my gas was shut off because we had a gas leak on our fireplace shut off valve, and that my stove is a very nice gas stove or that the stove in the common room of our building that we had for the party is complete crap has a knob for oven temperature and there isn't even a light to tell you if it is up to temperature. Or that I could have bought a nice pound cake or etc and just made the filling as I had gone to the store the previous day, oh no I was going to make a lavender pound cake that I adapted from Martha's baking book then do the trifle then refridge in time for the party and that it was at the same time I was making pulled pork.

Everything was a go had put all the ingredients everything, and I just felt that the cake was too sweet- so dumb me obviously had been out too late the night before and should have baked for the party earlier, not last minute, decided to put some lemon juice in it for zest. Lemon juice- I am an idiot! So OF COURSE the cake did not set as it should and in fact made a mess in the stupid common room oven, and since it is a cheap oven it doesn't self-clean and I had to clean it too.

Thank goodness we live near Randolph Pastries and Hubby is a Saint. The next weekend when we had gas again, determined not to be an idiot I made the cake and put fresh peaches in it for the needed zest, and made a nice icing and it was lovely for a friends going away party. Not a trifle, but very good.

Did you know that of you spill a quart of blueberries on your (white tile) kitchen floor, that they are guaranteed to roll under every single appliance, shelf, or cupboard in the room? Plus you will step on at least a dozen going for the broom. Oy.

And sure as Shinola, you will find one 6 months from now!

I came home from Los Angeles yesterday with a bag of dried beans from the Santa Monica farmers market, only to find that J. had eaten most of the leftover christmas ham and discarded the ham bone. DOH! Why didn't I put it in the freezer?

I find that smoked turkey parts work well in place of a ham bone, if you don't want to wait until you have another bone-in ham to use the beans.