Restaurant Whine Pairings

4 course $25 or $50

5 course $30 or $60

6 course $35 or $70

7 course $40 or $80

If prior experience is any indicator, these (roughly) $12/glass, $6/half glass wines will be well paired and quite a bargain.

Any restaurant that would actively promote the consumption six or seven 6 ounce pours, even over the course of six or seven courses, might want to reconsider its policy on overconsumption. Granted, many of us drink this way on our own--in fact for some of us that's not even a good start to a long night--but is that a level of consumption that a restaurant should really promote?

Any restaurant that would actively promote the consumption six or seven 6 ounce pours, even over the course of six or seven courses, might want to reconsider its policy on overconsumption. Granted, many of us drink this way on our own--in fact for some of us that's not even a good start to a long night--but is that a level of consumption that a restaurant should really promote?
I've only done multi-course meals with wine on a couple of occasions. The pours matched the portions of the food pretty well in both instances; i. e., a few bites and a few sips to match. I had a nice buzz on after both occasions, but could hardly be described as falling-down drunk; besides, I wasn't driving. If you think in terms of less than half of what you normally pour by the glass at RTS and RTC, you might get a better idea of just how much someone would be consuming over the course of an evening.

I've only done multi-course meals with wine on a couple of occasions. The pours matched the portions of the food pretty well in both instances; i. e., a few bites and a few sips to match. I had a nice buzz on after both occasions, but could hardly be described as falling-down drunk; besides, I wasn't driving. If you think in terms of less than half of what you normally pour by the glass at RTS and RTC, you might get a better idea of just how much someone would be consuming over the course of an evening.

Hmmm, then that would make the cost around $24/glass...

From a health perspective, one could ask the same of a restaurant that offers a 28oz ribeye.

From a health perspective, one could ask the same of a restaurant that offers a 28oz ribeye.
Last I noticed, the local constabulary wasn't setting up roadblocks to check for overconsumption of beef. If they do so where you live, please let us know.

Last I noticed, the local constabulary wasn't setting up roadblocks to check for overconsumption of beef. If they do so where you live, please let us know.
Well, this was my second thought. We know that the courts have held bars and restaurants which sell alcohol liable for serving obviously intoxicated people more liquor and then taking no responsibility when said patrons leave the establishment, get in a car, and then proceed to drive so impaired that they kill or severely injure other people. Neither of Michael's establishments are "dive bars" where someone might think to go and drink cheap hootch until oblivion; nevertheless, he is under the same sort of cloud and liability. I understand his concern--that one could take wine pairings to such an extent that it goes beyond the simple enjoyment of food with a matching wine and proceeds into another territory, however unintended by patron or purveyor.

As an aside, unlike many of you, I am not particularly enamored of the multi-course, small-bite experience. So sue me. I would much rather have a sufficient amount of two or three things which are particularly good and try to figure out which glasses of wine would go best with the whole. That's why I appreciate so much the wine-by-the-glass on offer at my two favorite places.

Um. Hello. But hasn't this conversation taken a silly turn away from the topic of this thread. Hasn't Michael Landrum done nothing more than poke fun at assumptions that PS7s is going to be pouring massive amounts of wine at certain dollars per glass....none of which has any basis in fact if you look at their website? I mean, if you want to extrapolate that they're going to give you 7 six-ounce glasses of wine for $40 or $80 dollars, go ahead. If you ask me, whatever universe that assumption came from probably has Pluto as the central planet. :)

Michael does have a valid point, although whether it applies to PS7 remains to be seen and certainly cannot be determined from examining a web site menu. After a recent experience with Citronelle's tasting menu with wine pairings, and tonight's dinner at Laboratorio, also with the wine pairings, I can definitively state that on each occasion neither my wife nor I was approaching falling-down drunk, but also that neither of us should have been allowed anywhere near a set of car keys, and if given a breathalyzer exam we each would have failed miserably. Even now, an hour after the conclusion of my meal, my fine motor control, not to mention my large motor control, reaction time and judgement, remain impaired. Fortunately, we planned ahead and took a taxi on both of those occasions, but it is something that perhaps more restaurants should look at carefully.

This conversation actually offends me for some reason. I don't know but wine pairings are fairly common and though I have never partaken in one, I think it is odd that there is a conversation about the fact that a restaurant that is NOT OPEN may offer wine pairings is ODD. Yes, I think it is odd that people are commenting about something for which there is no evidence or explanation as to what the wine pairings are going to be. It is all speculation and something seems to smell fishy about the conversation.

Serving a patron like me one drink may be the same as serving a patron like my friend Jason four because I am petite with a low tolerance and Jason is a big guy with a high tolerance. Jeez.

This conversation actually offends me for some reason. I don't know but wine pairings are fairly common and though I have never partaken in one, I think it is odd that there is a conversation about the fact that a restaurant that is NOT OPEN may offer wine pairings is ODD. Yes, I think it is odd that people are commenting about something for which there is no evidence or explanation as to what the wine pairings are going to be. It is all speculation and something seems to smell fishy about the conversation.

Serving a patron like me one drink may be the same as serving a patron like my friend Jason four because I am petite with a low tolerance and Jason is a big guy with a high tolerance. Jeez.

Seems like after the brief discussion on the inital pricing the topic turned to wine pairings in general and should probably get split into a separate thread.