Food-Focused Bookstores in D.C. Area?

MugZ77

My girlfriend, who is in the WSET Diploma program, was hoping to get her hands quickly on a copy of the World Encyclopedia of Champagne and Sparkling Wine as part of her studies. We drove from bookstore to bookstore (various B&Ns and Borders, among others) in and around the District, but we had no luck finding it. Ultimately, she folded and ordered it from amazon.com.

But the whole experience got me thinking that I can't come up with the name of a single food/wine specialty bookstore in the area. Certainly, there's nothing along the lines of Barbara-Jo's Books to Cooks in Vancouver, B.C., and we don't have anything like Portland's Powell's Books, which might carry what you want solely by virtue of its size.

Is ordering on the Web the only way to go in these parts? Are there used bookstores around here that carry a decent selection of food and wine books -- at least a selection larger than what you'd find at the typical major chain bookstore? Any wine shops or food emporia (e.g., Dean & Deluca) that do an adequate job?

Michael

My girlfriend, who is in the WSET Diploma program, was hoping to get her hands quickly on a copy of the World Encyclopedia of Champagne and Sparkling Wine as part of her studies. We drove from bookstore to bookstore (various B&Ns and Borders, among others) in and around the District, but we had no luck finding it. Ultimately, she folded and ordered it from amazon.com.

But the whole experience got me thinking that I can't come up with the name of a single food/wine specialty bookstore in the area. Certainly, there's nothing along the lines of Barbara-Jo's Books to Cooks in Vancouver, B.C., and we don't have anything like Portland's Powell's Books, which might carry what you want solely by virtue of its size.

Is ordering on the Web the only way to go in these parts? Are there used bookstores around here that carry a decent selection of food and wine books -- at least a selection larger than what you'd find at the typical major chain bookstore? Any wine shops or food emporia (e.g., Dean & Deluca) that do an adequate job?

Michael

It's hard to argue that anything is more convenient than Amazon.com. If you are a registered user, you can get on and off the site in under 2 minutes with the "one-click option" if you know what you're looking for. The prices are very competitive and with next day shipping, I use it far more often than I go browsing at B&N. If you buy one cookbook, the next time you visit Amazon, it "remembers" what you bought last time and recommends similar items.

Used bookstores, such as Second Story Books and Idletimes, can be really useful, especially if you need a particular volume immediately. Further, I have found Alibris to have virtually every book I have ever looked for and have received the ones I have purchased very quickly from their various booksellers.

Used bookstores, such as Second Story Books and Idletimes, can be really useful, especially if you need a particular volume immediately. Further, I have found Alibris to have virtually every book I have ever looked for and have received the ones I have purchased very quickly from their various booksellers.
I like the cookbook section at Idle Time especially. I've found some great cookbooks there. Riverby Books on Capitol Hill has a smaller, but decent used cookbook selection as well. (At least I can always find a cookbook to buy when I'm in there :) )

All of the online sources are great, but some times there's nothing quite like being able to browse shelves and sit down to flip through real books.

Ludditingly yours,

Joe

That's precisely what I'm getting at, Joe. It's easy to find virtually any book you want via the Web, but I was simply wondering whether any local bookstores carry a notable selection of food and wine books. I like to page through before I purchase. And if I like something and if the price is reasonable, I'd prefer to buy it on the spot rather than wait it out.

I'll have to check out Idle Time and Riverby. Any others that should be mentioned?

Michael

I just scored The Good Cook: Organ and Variety Meats (pretty rare) on ebay for $10.
Not many places where folks read this then smile, nod, and think "that's cool."

Check out Wonder Book when in Frederick at the far end (from I-70) of Rt.40's Miracle Mile (a block past the flagship Roy Rogers). Huge (rent's cheaper) and lots of books (overstocks and used).

I'll have to check out Idle Time and Riverby. Any others that should be mentioned?

One little known (probably due to it's location-- it's in Dupont, but off the beaten path) used bookstore that I buy a lot of books at is Books for America at 1417 22nd St. Great prices (the books are discounted quite a bit more than most used bookstores) and the money goes to library and reading programs. They have a food and cooking section. It's not huge, but I've found some good stuff there.

That's precisely what I'm getting at, Joe. It's easy to find virtually any book you want via the Web, but I was simply wondering whether any local bookstores carry a notable selection of food and wine books. I like to page through before I purchase. And if I like something and if the price is reasonable, I'd prefer to buy it on the spot rather than wait it out.

Michael

If you're coming to Riverby from any distance, check Trover Shop on the 200 block of PA Ave., SE, too. Despite the fact that I love the store (and they'll order anything for you that they can get from their supplier--they're great that way), I've never liked the way Trover organizes its merchandise. It's really hard to find specific books. They do have some good cookbooks, though, if you can make your way through the arrangement, and they often have a sale table with cookbooks. It's only a few blocks from Riverby.

My favorite chain places to look for cookbooks are the Borders at Baileys Crossroads and the B&N at Potomac Yards and in Clarendon in that urban mall area. I don't know why those particular stores strike my fancy (or how different the selection really is from that of their chainmates), but I usually have pretty good luck with those particular locations. (I notice in your message that you tried those chains, but I don't know which stores you hit.)