Pecans

Walrus

Hi all!

Preparing for a family- and friend-filled holiday season, full of feasting.

Any recommendations for where to get the best and freshest pecans (shops or online)?

Thanks!

Believe it or not, I have had very good look with the bulk bins at the Safeway. Other than that, the bulk bins at the Yes! Gourmet store have been perfectly satisfactory. Especially at this time of the year, I don't think you need to jump through a whole buncha hoops or spend an inordinate amount of money for good pecans. :P

Hi all!

Preparing for a family- and friend-filled holiday season, full of feasting.

Any recommendations for where to get the best and freshest pecans (shops or online)?

Thanks!

I just purchased a few pounds this afternoon at the Bethesda Co-op located at the intersection of MacArthur Boulevard and Seven Locks Road in Bethesda. They were on sale for about $8.30/lb, and looked quite good.

I knew it was getting to be pecan harvest time. Is it best to order via internet, or rely on local

stores? A quick Google shows that halves will run $6.00 a pound. Which farm is best, no idea.

What to do with ten pounds, I'll think of something. Any ideas/suggestions?

[i learn from internet that this is expected to be an very good year for pecans, as they rest one year,

then get to work the nest. This is the big year.]

I knew it was getting to be pecan harvest time. Is it best to order via internet, or rely on local

stores? A quick Google shows that halves will run $6.00 a pound. Which farm is best, no idea.

What to do with ten pounds, I'll think of something. Any ideas/suggestions?

[i learn from internet that this is expected to be an very good year for pecans, as they rest one year,

then get to work the nest. This is the big year.]

This may not be what you're looking for, but I get mine in 2lb. bags at Costco (Kirkland brand). They are labeled Pecan Halfs U.S. #1 Fancy.

We get the Costco ones as well...mostly for baking, but it's awfully difficult to avoid snacking on them when they taste so darn good! Actually this past weekend at Costco they had some pecans in a plastic jar, like they do the cashews and pistachios, up near the front of the store. They looked even better than the ones in the bags...