Churrascaria and Rodízio

Hi all -

Our teen had his first trip to a churrascaria elsewhere this summer and loved it. We usually go to Ray's the Steaks for his birthday, and I know the steaks there are higher quality, but we were thinking of taking him to a churrascaria for his 18th birthday with a few friends since he enjoyed the experience and the food so much and it's a milestone birthday.  Unending skewers of grilled meats are definitely fun and appealing at that age. I'd probably just have the Market Table and sides, which would be fine for me.

It looks like there haven't been comments on Fogo de Chao, Chima Brazilian Steakhouse, or Texas de Brazil in a few years. At this point, do folks have thoughts on whether one is better than the other?

I noted that Fogo has a weekend brunch for less ($39 instead of $50 at Tysons), that includes the full churrasceria - not sure if they don't have the better cuts of meat (which I've seen in the Fogo threads) then, or if they're just assuming people will eat less.  Brazil de Texas in Fairfax charges the same for brunch as it does for dinner, and Chima doesn't have brunch.

Thanks!!

3 minutes ago, Genevieve said:

Thank you everyone!

I didn't reply because my information just isn't current - my favorite churrascaria meal in DC was Fogo de Chao (Pennsylvania Avenue) about ten years ago; my one visit to Texas de Brazil (Fair Oaks) was a salt bomb - but I wouldn't rely on either of these anecdotes because they're just too old.

Thanks, Don - my last churrascaria meal was also at Fogo in DC, but even longer ago than that. I enjoyed it very much and thought the salad bar in particular was terrific (relevant since that is what I may stick to this time), but it's far too long ago to rely on.

14 minutes ago, Genevieve said:

Thanks, Don - my last churrascaria meal was also at Fogo in DC, but even longer ago than that. I enjoyed it very much and thought the salad bar in particular was terrific (relevant since that is what I may stick to this time), but it's far too long ago to rely on.

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that Fogo in DC is what you want, because it probably has the highest food turnover of any of these - and that's what you want. Plus, my son *loved* it - thought it was great fun (not so much the skewers of heart).

A warning: This once Brazilian-owned company sold to an American entity in 2012, and is now on the NASDAQ as FOGO - never a good sign. I really had a good time there, but this was all before the transfer of ownership.

Has anyone been since it was listed on the NASDAQ on Apr 20, 2015? Sometimes deterioration is a slow, painful thing, but it's pretty much inevitable, as they're now answering to shareholders clamoring for profits.

• Like 1

Been to Fogo twice in the past year, once downtown, and once in Tysons, and both were fantastic.

The Tysons was during Restaurant Week, and it was a great deal...only one or two of the high end meats (filet and ribeye) weren't included. And since I think their top and bottom sirloins, along with their picanha, are their best cuts, it was no problem.

The only problem is trying to avoid eating too many cheese puffs, so you can gorge fully on the meats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mtureck said:

The only problem is trying to avoid eating too many cheese puffs, so you can gorge fully on the meats.

Isn't it funny how that works? You enjoy the cheese puffs more, but you feel that you "should" eat the meats because they're more expensive. I do it too.

My guess would be that the skewers of heart will be the first to go - are they still serving them?

And "gorge" is a *perfect* verb to use when discussing these places.