On 1/22/2013 at 10:08 AM, weinoo said:

As you quoted above, I find the bagels at Russ & Daughters to be, to my taste, the most authentic.

Just happened upon this thread and thought I'd mention that Russ & Daughters sells a superior bialy too. Well worth the wait. 

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

Incidentally, "Bialy" is named for the Polish city, Bialystok.

[If it's not okay to tag the Bagels and Bialys threads "Jewish," someone please write me, and I'll remove the tags.]

Both my dad’s  parents were immigrants from the Bialystok region along with many brothers sisters cousins extended family all at the end of the 19th century.  My grandmother was an acclaimed baker and I grew up on a healthy volume of bialys as a normal food item later to learn that was a similar experience in the homes of many first and second cousins.  It was not considered an unusual food item within my extended family.

Also in a recent conversation among several local self proclaimed bagel mavens (from the NY region)it was noted that Brooklyn Bagel in Arlington and Tyson’s Bagel Shop On Rte 7 offer good quite good  local bagels:  the former run by North Africans and the latter operated by Koreans.

One need not be Jewish to make a good bagel. :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, Bob Wells said:

Just happened upon this thread and thought I'd mention that Russ & Daughters sells a superior bialy too. Well worth the wait. 

Russ & Daughters' bialys used to come from Kossar's.

And R & D is now baking their own bagels. Their previous source was a bagel shop in Brooklyn.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DonRocks said:

In lower Manhattan at 7-11 Willet Street near the Brooklyn Bridge there is a fairly well known remaining Orthodox Synagogue whose name is The Bialystoker Synagogue   Needless to say it’s congregation was established by immigrants from Bialystok in the mid 1800’s.  

On 3/5/2018 at 7:19 PM, DonRocks said:

I’m not sure about this but I believe the parents of Mel Allen, the voice of The Yankees were immigrants from Bialystok.  He grew up in Alabama friendly with first cousins of my dad.  They too were the kids of Bialystokers and when Allen moved to New York these cousins had him connect with their many NY cousins to make him feel at home......or something like that.  My dad met him but was not as close to Allen as some of his other first cousins in NYC.

I bet those old timers gobbled down some far better bialys back in that time frame.

• Like 3