Lupo Marino - Italian Street Food by Lahlou Restaurant Group Executive Chef, Todd Sprik

Since there was no thread for this restaurant on its own - there is now.  Apparently the 2nd venture for the Lahlou Restaurant Group, their 1st being Lupo Verde Cucina & Bar.

Stopped in late afternoon looking for some decent Italian food - the group of people (management) graciously greeted us and welcomed us to their establishment.  We had viewed the menu posted outside and wanted to see if they could accommodate Ghocchi for our kids who wanted tomato-based sauce instead of (GNOCCHI 22,ASPARAGUS, WILD MUSHROOMS, FONDUTA, SPRING PEAS, GELATO AL PARMIGIANO), which in unison, they replied "absolutely, we can make anything the way you want it."  It did not disappoint and the Gnocchi was outstanding.  We also had a PACCHERI 28
BLUE CRAB, SHRIMP, SQUID, GARLIC, SAFFRON BRODETTO which was excellent and flavorful.  The fresh-baked bread that accompanied our meal helped me make sure my plate was clean enough to place back on the shelf without washing 😁.  We also ordered the tomato and fresh mozzarella pizza to round out the meal.  Staff was accommodating and sincerely friendly.  This place is tucked away off the main part of the Wharf on a secondary street but easy to find.  The food came out promptly and we felt like they appreciated our visit.  If in the area and interested in a moderately-priced, fresh Italian meal, give it a shot.

• Like 3

I thought about checking out a few restaurants at the Wharf but ultimately decided to just try Lupo Marino for brunch.  As I sat at the bar, I noticed a fire roaring in the pizza oven.  The fire would die down, and roar back up again.  I assume the temperature in the oven is closely monitored and the whole set-up is automated.  Neat but not old school.

I decided to order a fritto msto.  The sardines were meaty - I prefer smaller/crunchier fish for fritto misto.  The calamaries were nice and tender.  The shrimps were fine.  Everything was slightly underseasoned.  I didn't finish the batch as I was still thinking about hitting another restaurant.  I even biked to the Naval Yard but the restaurants there were packed due to a Nats game.  So I bailed.

IMG_2012.JPG

IMG_2013.JPG

• Like 2