5 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Just off the top of my head, two films pop to mind:

"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" for sure - I adore this film, and have seen it at least twice in the past couple of years. It's my very favorite Western, and I can't really think of a runner-up (it would probably be "The Shootist," which I also love, but that has some gaps; "Liberty Valance" is pure poetry). Interestingly, John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart are in both movies (click on both of those links to see why I contend that we're so much more than a "food website").

"A Clockwork Orange" - I saw this in my early 20s, and it just stuck with me. It's depraved, bizarre, and I saw it before I studied Russian, so it sounded like they were speaking Plutonian. It snagged me early on, and I've never gotten tired of it.

I can't say either of these are "The Best" movies I've ever seen; just two that came to mind. However, I might choose "Liberty Valance" as a deathbed film - that's how much I like it.

A Clockwork Orange is great but I can only see it once, I'm afraid. I read the book first in a Lit class in college. The movie is a chilling adaptation!

For Kubrick I prefer Dr Strangelove, Spartacus, Paths of Glory, Barry Lyndon. 

You wouldn't believe it but I have never seen Full Metal Jacket or 2001: A Space Odyssey! I don't know HOW but I haven't! I am sure I will, and it won't be on a cell phone!

4 hours ago, DonRocks said:

"A Clockwork Orange" - I saw this in my early 20s, and it just stuck with me. It's depraved, bizarre, and I saw it before I studied Russian, so it sounded like they were speaking Plutonian. It snagged me early on, and I've never gotten tired of it.

1 hour ago, MC Horoscope said:

A Clockwork Orange is great but I can only see it once, I'm afraid. I read the book first in a Lit class in college. The movie is a chilling adaptation!

The other day I noticed on FB that an old friend and age peer identified this film as his all-time favorite.

Not me- not now.  I saw the film possibly 3 times when it first came out.  Loved it.  Was stunned by its violence and sexuality and the mix of the two.  Recognized how surreal that was and appreciated its portrayal in film.   About a decade later I saw it again and was a bit repulsed.  Still over a decade later and was more repulsed.

Okay:   All That does is say something about me—not the film.   But the film-boy it’s a stunner of a dystopian world.

I suppose my top ten list would change over the decades

• Like 1

MY paperback copy of A Clockwork Orange had a GLOSSARY of droon speak in the back. I read the whole f'ing thing without knowing that, trying to figure out the lingo! HA! I made out well but still! This changed my very reading habits. Today I never miss checking out the back of the book before starting! Sometimes with non-fiction works I've read the footnotes and index before the Dedication.

2 hours ago, MC Horoscope said:

MY paperback copy of A Clockwork Orange had a GLOSSARY of droon speak in the back.

I'm assuming you know by now the words are essentially direct Russian translations (with a small amount of leeway given for dramatic impact).

Anyway, one interesting thing about "A Clockwork Orange": Can you name one other movie this famous for which you can't name two actors? (I suspect only true, hardcore film buffs can name a second; I certainly cannot.)

4 hours ago, MC Horoscope said:

For Kubrick I prefer Dr Strangelove, Spartacus, Paths of Glory, Barry Lyndon. 

This is exactly what I was talking about when I referred to "favorite" as opposed to "the best" - "Dr. Strangelove" is the finest comedy ever made (followed, IMO, by "A Fish Called Wanda," although how do you choose that over "Holy Grail?"), and I doubt very many people would say "A Clockwork Orange" is "better" than "Dr. Strangelove" because it just isn't.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MC Horoscope said:

MY paperback copy of A Clockwork Orange had a GLOSSARY of droon speak in the back. I read the whole f'ing thing without knowing that, trying to figure out the lingo! HA! I made out well but still! This changed my very reading habits. Today I never miss checking out the back of the book before starting! Sometimes with non-fiction works I've read the footnotes and index before the Dedication.

So did mine. I couldn't do it. Meaning, I could not really understand the book. I do hate admitting that, but there. And Dr. Strangelove is, by far, my favorite Kubrick movie. 

• Like 1

"... Can you name one other movie this famous for which you can't name two actors? (I suspect only true, hardcore film buffs can name a second; I certainly cannot.)"  

Well, actually "2001: A Space Odyssey" immediately came to mind.  I even had a little trouble remembering Keir Dullea & I never would've remembered Gary Lockwood had I not just looked it up.