Wednesday High School-Graduation Lunch, Northern Virginia, Six People, $50-ish per Person

FVT

Dear daughter is graduating from high school on June 5, 2019 (Wednesday).  The graduation is in the morning in Northern VA, so we are looking to go out for a weekday lunch.  Ideally we would stay in NOVA, but for the best experience we would be willing to drive to DC or MD.  Budget: about $40-50/person before gratuity, but flexible on this.  Party of 6.

Beautiful contemporary decor is a high priority.  DD loves the feel of Founding Farmers in Tysons, and she also likes the decor of Mama Chang in Fairfax.  So I am looking for a good weekday lunch place that has such beautiful contemporary decor.  My research has come up with Convivial and Centrolina for such decor as well as good food.  Any other suggestions (or comments on lunch at Convivial/Centrolina) would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

2 hours ago, FVT said:

Dear daughter is graduating from high school on June 5, 2019 (Wednesday).  The graduation is in the morning in Northern VA, so we are looking to go out for a weekday lunch.  Ideally we would stay in NOVA, but for the best experience we would be willing to drive to DC or MD.  Budget: about $40-50/person before gratuity, but flexible on this.  Party of 6.

Beautiful contemporary decor is a high priority.  DD loves the feel of Founding Farmers in Tysons, and she also likes the decor of Mama Chang in Fairfax.  So I am looking for a good weekday lunch place that has such beautiful contemporary decor.  My research has come up with Convivial and Centrolina for such decor as well as good food.  Any other suggestions (or comments on lunch at Convivial/Centrolina) would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

2941? Clarity? BlackSalt?

If I was you, I'd go someplace with a nice outdoor view on the water. Any of the restaurants on the river in the Navy Yard (Ana at District Winery, Osteria Moreni), the Wharf (Del Mar, Kith/Kin, Rappahannock Oyster Bar), or Alexandria (Blackwall Hitch). They all have the contemporary decor you're looking for and I think a graduation calls for looking out at the bright horizons (instead of being stuck on a crowded city block or in a strip mall or an office park). The Wharf would give you a good backdrop for pictures on the piers with the Washington Monument in the background.

I like your ideas of Convivial and Centrolina - would driving to DC really be a problem for six people? It might lend an air of "special" to the occasion (has anyone noticed that, since the departure of Restaurant Eve, Northern Virginia just isn't that special anymore)

Thank you, MarkS, SRJ, and Don.  All great ideas.  Armed now with all the excellent choices, I will do some further research, run it by DD, and let you know what we decide and how the food was.  Thank you again!

On 5/6/2019 at 9:30 PM, SRJ said:

If I was you, I'd go someplace with a nice outdoor view on the water. Any of the restaurants on the river in the Navy Yard (Ana at District Winery, Osteria Moreni), the Wharf (Del Mar, Kith/Kin, Rappahannock Oyster Bar), or Alexandria (Blackwall Hitch). They all have the contemporary decor you're looking for and I think a graduation calls for looking out at the bright horizons (instead of being stuck on a crowded city block or in a strip mall or an office park). The Wharf would give you a good backdrop for pictures on the piers with the Washington Monument in the background.

Love the way you put it .. bright horizons.  Yes.