Help needed- mountains with high speed internet

ALB

My husband, dog, and I are in desperate need of a relocation for 4-5 days. I still have to work (because I am a teacher, and it is just more work for my amazing team if I am out) so I need high speed internet. Does anyone have any ideas of reasonably priced locations that have reliable high speed? Deep Creek seems pretty expensive this year, as I think many people are thinking like us. We would love some mountains. We may do take-out, but we won't be eating indoors at this time. We just really need a change of view and a few nice hikes. 

2 hours ago, ALB said:

My husband, dog, and I are in desperate need of a relocation for 4-5 days. I still have to work (because I am a teacher, and it is just more work for my amazing team if I am out) so I need high speed internet. Does anyone have any ideas of reasonably priced locations that have reliable high speed? Deep Creek seems pretty expensive this year, as I think many people are thinking like us. We would love some mountains. We may do take-out, but we won't be eating indoors at this time. We just really need a change of view and a few nice hikes. 

One of my rustic escapes has been Cacapon State Park. They have a lodge (which is open, I believe, for breakfast and dinner), and also cabins (I only stayed at the lodge when I went with my mom, but have gotten coffee there more than once). They do have high-speed internet, but I can't remember if it reaches the cabins.

You'll either drive 8-10 miles to Berkeley Springs, or use the grill outside (or fireplace (or 1950s range) inside) to cook your meals - bring all groceries with you because the store(s?) nearby are of ill repute. The hiking is great, the fireplaces are wonderful, and there will be a major chill in the air this time of year. You'll need books.

Have a look, and let me know if this might interest you, and we'll talk more. If it doesn't interest you, let me know if you're looking for something higher-end.

Wintergreen Resort (Nelson County) has the whole mountain wired for high speed - would double check when booking based on whether you go through the resort itself, Airbnb, etc but its set up for it.  Fair warning, takeout food options are very limited on weekdays - weekends are better.  If you do go, check out Basic Necessities carry out in the valley, and their excellent wine shop.

5 hours ago, genericeric said:

Wintergreen Resort (Nelson County) has the whole mountain wired for high speed - would double check when booking based on whether you go through the resort itself, Airbnb, etc but its set up for it.  Fair warning, takeout food options are very limited on weekdays - weekends are better.  If you do go, check out Basic Necessities carry out in the valley, and their excellent wine shop.

Thank you, we will check it out!

22 hours ago, ALB said:

Thank you, we will check it out!

Same with Bryce Resort, in Basye, VA re: internet - and with food options, come to think of it. That said, Mt. Jackson is reasonably close.

Also, Primland is absolutely stunning, but maybe more than you want to spend. Worth checking out just to see the treehouses, though.

On 9/29/2020 at 11:01 AM, genericeric said:

Someone needs to convince Basic Necessities to work on taking over operations at the DeVine wine shop up on the mountain near the Wintergarden Spa.  The current proprietor doesn't seem to have his/her heart entirely in the establishment.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JBag57 said:

Someone needs to convince Basic Necessities to work on taking over operations at the DeVine wine shop up on the mountain near the Wintergarden Spa.  The current proprietor doesn't seem to have his/her heart entirely in the establishment.

To their credit, they've put this on a couple of websites (emphasis mine):

"We are a small cafe and wine shop with a modest menu consisting of wines by the glass, coffee and espresso drinks, soups, sandwiches, pastries, salads, and tarts."

On 9/30/2020 at 3:48 PM, JBag57 said:

On 9/30/2020 at 10:19 PM, DonRocks said:

To their credit, they've put this on a couple of websites (emphasis mine):

"We are a small cafe and wine shop with a modest menu consisting of wines by the glass, coffee and espresso drinks, soups, sandwiches, pastries, salads, and tarts."

JBag57 may be referring to the hours, which are... sporadic at best.  To be a business in a resort community that is closed on Saturdays is certainly odd.  I've also found the store occasionally closed on days with posted open hours.  And they're often out of food.  I do wish they'd be successful because there's a need for their store on the mountain.

Thank you, genericeric.  Hours and food selection leave a bit to be desired, to say the least.  Also, it is not their fault that the Resort itself is not firing on many cylinders at present, but with so many people (owners, renters, guests) up there during the pandemic, it is frustrating that they are not taking full advantage of the pent-up demand for a place to shop for some things that not found at, or are somewhat different from, the offerings at Blackrock Market.  DeVine would do well to fashion itself more after the Basic Necessities shop down in the valley.

On 9/21/2020 at 10:56 PM, ALB said:

So... not far from Deep Creek, but on a different grid- you might check out Ohiopyle area, lovely mountains and options with good wifi (we used OVR locations with good wifi).  Also the Canaan Valley area is amazing, the house rentals there aren't as nice as DCL, but lots with internet options, and the hiking is phenomenal.  I love Seneca Rocks, but less good wifi down there. You might think about places near Lost River too.  Also, consider staying in Oakland/Mountain Lake Park instead of DCL, if there are any places available, if you don't mind being in a small town.  Hope you have found somewhere good.  If you book something in one of these areas, I can give you recs.

• Like 1

I just spent two nights at The Inn at Warm Springs. As rooms go, it was "fine," but the lobby and restaurant are quite nice, and there's a second restaurant option 2-3 minutes away at The Inn at Gristmill Square (which actually looked like the better of the two places to stay).

This was a decent (not great, but decent) alternative to either The Greenbrier (which is crazy expensive, even for a loft) in White Sulphur Springs, or The Homestead (now run by Omni) in Hot Springs, right down the road. Both of those places are certainly nicer, but also triple the price (our room was about $119, and The Greenbrier was about $350 for a smaller room). 

Whichever of these you choose, you can make a really beautiful, 3.5-hour circular loop, through the Monongahela Forest, up to Snowshoe (which is closed, but it's still a nice drive), and then back down through the *gorgeous* Watoga State Park (which has cabins to rent). The Natural Bridge and New River Gorge Bridge are also fairly nearby.

Then, you can stop at Staunton on the way back, stay at Hotel 24 South, dine at The Shack that night, and get some sandwiches next door at Staunton Grocery (only open now for about two weeks, and run by Ian Boden) for lunch the next day as you weave your way up the southernmost portion of Skyline Drive.

• Thanks 1