Rising Gas Prices

This week I had a rare opportunity to leave work early and go out for lunch. I had two places in mind, one in Maryland and one in Va. (And to answer your question MDT, having to cross the river did not play into my decision ;).) Both had mouthwatering options that would have made me quite happy to drive that far to enjoy them.

In the end I decided not to go to either because each involved driving a fair amount. With gas prices what they are today and all the talk about leaving your carbon footprint, I didn't want to use up the gas just for a drive to lunch.

Has anybody else stopped trekking out to their favorite place because gas prices now need to be added to the cost of your meal?

This week I had a rare opportunity to leave work early and go out for lunch. I had two places in mind, one in Maryland and one in Va. (And to answer your question MDT, having to cross the river did not play into my decision ;).) Both had mouthwatering options that would have made me quite happy to drive that far to enjoy them.

In the end I decided not to go to either because each involved driving a fair amount. With gas prices what they are today and all the talk about leaving your carbon footprint, I didn't want to use up the gas just for a drive to lunch.

Has anybody else stopped trekking out to their favorite place because gas prices now need to be added to the cost of your meal?

In a world where people are lining up to spend $18 on a hamburger, $3.50 gas is laughably cheap.

Nope, I just keep patting myself on the back for buying a Prius hybrid two years ago. (I've dislocated my shoulder a number of times, by now ;-D) Two weeks ago, we drove from DC to Shelter Island, NY --off the Northeast end of Long Island--on 3/4 tank of gas--50 mph on the highway. MD or VA for lunch? How much does a thimble-full of gas cost?

There is always public transportation. I hopped onto metro last night to get to Etete instead of driving in from the boonies. Took a whole hell of a lot more time to get there, but at least the reward at the end of the day was worth it.

Oh yeah....I don't go to Fairfield for Super Duper Weenie or Pepe's (only once, but I'd go back) nearly as often as I used to. Driving 15 minutes each way for a hot dog just seems insane. And these are awesome hot dogs.

I don't drive much to begin with, so it doesn't really make much difference. We tend not to eat out real often or to go to places that are much of a drive when we do.

My biggest driving is my weekly shopping/errand running, and I arrange that so I have a route I cover to do everything in one sequential trip. Sometimes I do two routes in a week; other times, it's one every two weeks.

Unless there's something particular going on that requires a lot of driving, I buy gas once (or maybe twice) a month, and I usually refill at about half a tank. Depending on the time of year, my husband usually drives even less than I do.

My motorcycle gets 60 mph. That's the good news. The bad news is, I simply will not allow myself to drink when riding - absolutely no alcohol whatsoever. None at all. And I love to drink with a good meal. And, Mr P doesn't ride. And for some reason won't ride b**ch on my bike. ;)

My commute of 10 miles (anywhere between 25 and 90 minutes depending on the day and my luck) keeps me on the road much more than I would like. I suppose as a result I'm still willing to drive for good food. However where I feel the pinch is with cabs. Last year's increase (that's when it was, right?) made me say "ouch" and now there's a $1 surcharge. From my upper NW place to dinner around Logan Circle is now $12 plus tip. Double ouch.