Lucky Bar, South Dupont Circle

Name a better sports bar in DC than ESPNzone where you can watch sporting events -- somewhere that carries more than network or basic cable games.

Lucky Bar stayed open through the night during the 2002 Korea World Cup when my beloved spain had to play at 3am and 5am (and got robbed, but thats another bitter story). They play all sports and have every champions league game available through various international satellite networks. As for food...... it is what it is

What's with the "$10 minimum" next to the soccer events in that schedule? I realize that it costs a fortune to subscribe to the network that carries all of the big European matches on cable or satellite, but do they really have a problem with people showing up just to watch and not ordering any beers?

What's with the "$10 minimum" next to the soccer events in that schedule? I realize that it costs a fortune to subscribe to the network that carries all of the big European matches on cable or satellite, but do they really have a problem with people showing up just to watch and not ordering any beers?

They only enforce it when they have to. 2 years ago for the Barcelona Arsenal game they had 450 people show up at a bar with little over 200 capacity, they need to find ways to weed out people b/c it does get very packed, especially towards the end of the season

Really? Including Formula One? <fingers crossed>

I bet they would if you asked. I think they get pretty much all of the major European sports networks available on satellite. Assuming that F1 is covered under that umbrella they should be able to show it. If there are any big soccer or rugby matches on at the same time you may be SOL, but it never hurts to ask.

You can get Formula 1 on the speed channel. But they do play F1, just not on the big screens and they won't open up for F1 like they will for soccer. Well that is unless Lewis Hamilton cheats his way into a title next year, like he almost did this year.

Oh, I get Speed. :P But I'd love to find a public place where a bunch of us could congregate. ...and what's this about Lewis Hamilton cheating? 'ems fightin' words. :blink:

It was a very tough year for us spaniards to see Alonso get pushed around in favor of a rookie this year. But on to food.... When I go to Lucky Bar i order the fish and chips, they're mediocre, but eadible.

If anybody likes soccer today at lucky bar they are playing Real Madrid versus Valencia and Sevilla versus Atletico Madrid

I think the last time I set foot in Lucky Bar it was dba as Planet Fred - so, yeah, that was probably during the 90s... :blink: (where does the time go??)

We stopped in yesterday during a post-market stroll and enjoyed a couple of Bloody Marys and some wings. I have to say the wings are probably in my top 3 in the area - saucy and meaty, with a subtle, creeping heat in the sauce. They're definitely not Buffalo wings, but they're not advertised as such. The Bloodys weren't bad either - $5.75 for a pint was one of the Sunday specials.

It's a comfortable spot to spend a few hours watching a game and enjoying some beverages. Can't speak to the rest of the menu, but we may be back to try the English breakfast they serve during early openings for soccer matches.