Florida Avenue Grill, Southern Cooking at Florida Ave. & 11th Street NW Since 1944

Friend in town this weekend and can only do breakfast either Saturday or Sunday morning, around 0900 either day. I would normally suggest a diner like the '29 Diner or Bob and Edith's, but were wondering what other options (I also love Cafe Parisian Express in ARL).

We met friends in from out of town in town for a cheap, but good breakfast at the Florida Avenue Grill. Porkchop with gravy and onions alongside some grits and perfectly made over easy eggs. And biscuits. Deliciously greasy and cheap. If you have a hankering for this kind of food, it's worth a look, especially earlier in the morning when we went.

This has become my once-a-month guilty pleasure. Recently disappointed by the fried whiting but the collards and mac 'n' cheese were decent. However, a Sunday breakfast -- timed before the church crowd descends -- of (fill in the blank) and scrapple always hits the spot. Rumor has it that they close on Mondays to steam clean the walls. What's not to love?

This has become my once-a-month guilty pleasure. Recently disappointed by the fried whiting but the collards and mac 'n' cheese were decent. However, a Sunday breakfast -- timed before the church crowd descends -- of (fill in the blank) and scrapple always hits the spot. Rumor has it that they close on Mondays to steam clean the walls. What's not to love?

I love going there. I used to go more when I worked closer. After a few visits, Miss Carolyn, the head waitress didn't give me a menu and asked if I wanted my usual. How's that for a welcome! I still get my "usual" when I go--braised short ribs with collard greens and mac-n-cheese. YUM!

Went again recently. They still do a perfectly fine diner thing. It's not worth a special trip unless you make up a reason to go, but it certainly fits a particular food slot every once in a while.

You've been a superstar lately, Thomas.