Simple Syrup

Beto

At the farmer's market, we have a speed pourer labeled "simple syrup" for the iced coffee. We always get questions about what simple syrup is. Does anyone know of another, more descriptive way of labeling it?

At the farmer's market, we have a speed pourer labeled "simple syrup" for the iced coffee. We always get questions about what simple syrup is. Does anyone know of another, more descriptive way of labeling it?

sugar water?

H2O with C12H22O11

sugar water syrup

To add-like Waitman said, it's equal parts water and sugar (YMMV). The mixture is heated gently until all of the sugar is dissolved. It's used to sweeten beverages etc. and because it's already dissolved, you have no grainy sugar waiting for you at the bottom of the glass.

To add-like Waitman said, it's equal parts water and sugar (YMMV). The mixture is heated gently until all of the sugar is dissolved. It's used to sweeten beverages etc. and because it's already dissolved, you have no grainy sugar waiting for you at the bottom of the glass.
Little more detail on this:

You put granulated sugar in coffee/espresso because the heat will aid in the dissolving of the granules, but in iced drinks the cooldness prevents the dissovling without serious shaking of the drink, thus sugar already in solution needs not dissolve in the cold drink since it's already dissolved in the water.

And this is the same simple syrup you'd use in cocktails, correct? I thought it would be harder to make, but it sounds just like the hummingbird food we make (although different ratios).

And this is the same simple syrup you'd use in cocktails, correct? I thought it would be harder to make, but it sounds just like the hummingbird food we make (although different ratios).

It is hummingbird food-without the red dye :lol: . The ratio is 1 part sugar to 4 parts water.

It is hummingbird food-without the red dye :lol: . The ratio is 1 part sugar to 4 parts water.

We've never added the red dye, and that is the exact ratio we use. I guess I should have looked it up years ago. If it is that easy, why does everyone buy those nasty mixers?

Depends on the cocktail you want to make- some are sweeter and require 2:1 ratio (sugar to water), some are 1:1, some are 1:2, I need not bore you with all the various ratios I've seen, though I will say that I tend to make mine a little closer to 2:1, but it's all eyeballing it anyways. I also tend to make a tremendous amount of mint simple syrup in the summer (just steeped mint leaves in the water before adding the sugar).

Simple syrup is great in cocktails, but these days many barkeeps are upping the ante and making flavored simple syrups using ingredients traditionally used in the kitchen. rosemary, basil, ginger, vanilla...they can be really tasty with the proper infused liquor...I've always used the 1 to 1 ratio, equal parts steaming hot water to sugar, then whisk it good.